Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
We had a bumpy evening with Severe weather >

We had a bumpy evening with Severe weather

We had a bumpy evening with Severe weather

Old 05-06-2009, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
We live on hill but the back yard slopes down to a creek. Our back yard is a lake right now. The water is flowing very fast so it's not standing still and rising. It's moving and rising. :shock: Very fast current. Part of the hwy is closed, it's underwater. We have flood insurance but I'm not that worried about it getting into the house. If it makes it to the back porch which is two feet lower then the house then my sewing stash will be loaded up along with the dog and cat and we'll be in the closest hotel. I gave all my family pictures to my two daughters some years ago so so I don't have those to lose or think about. (they uploaded every one to an online picture storage site, Yeah ) This is the worst flooding I've seen since we moved here in '91. :?
Stay Safe!!!!
Old 05-06-2009, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by shaverg
Glad you are ok.

My niece lives in Raleigh, she said it was bad there too. I saw the pictures of the damaged houses on national news, wow.
wow it made the National news? !
Old 05-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

Just heard on the news that there were 6 tornadoes in NC yesterday. It's looking rough here now, on the edge of Mont and Randolph Co. Hope it doesn't get rough there this evening!

Ninnie
Old 05-06-2009, 02:00 PM

Wow......

stay safe
Old 05-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

I'm so glad I'm in earthquake country. (We're actually pretty safe in Sacramento). I used to watch the tornado pictures with casual awe and now I always watch them with worry because of all the wonderful people I met in my forums.

Glad you are safe.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I'm so glad I'm in earthquake country. (We're actually pretty safe in Sacramento). I used to watch the tornado pictures with casual awe and now I always watch them with worry because of all the wonderful people I met in my forums.

Glad you are safe.
I love a good Hurricane cause you can prepare for those and I have been through several. Of course I know when a hurricane is too dangerous and I know when to leave. But I stayed put during Fran and Bertha and Dennis and Floyd. ( Floyd was terrible because of the massive flooding and being trapped on a rooftop is no fun.) But anyways....

But Tornadoes just appear oftentimes with no warning or very little warning. I have been through a few of these storms being that I have always lived in the South. The very first one I went through was when I was in Kindergarten and the tornado touched down in the field beside the school as we were boarding buses to go home for the day and we all had to run back inside. It was scary. 2 horses died that day that were in that field. There have been three others since then and they were close calls too. One demolished the house I was in, but thank God for a sturdy basement.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:37 PM

Glad to hear your ok. Stay safe!!
I'll take an ice storm anyday over tornados!!
Old 05-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Power Poster

Water was almost gone by noon today. The sun came out and it got hot and humid fast. My yard smells like a dirty aquarium. The trampoline was picked up and moved 50ft by the water flowing across the yard. My fig tree stopped it or no telling where it would have ended up.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:15 PM

glad you are safe BellaBoo