Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: wedding dolls

wedding dolls

ok I know I'm showing my age here but dose anybody besides me remember back in the day when people put barbie type dolls with dresses made according to the bride and bridesmaid gowns on front of the hood of cars? I remember helping my grandmother make them.When I tell people them they say thay never heard of it but a good idea dolls weren't on the cars that long just long enough for the drive(slow) drive and horn beeping to the reception then put at there seating table.
    Last edited by mandyrose; 03-13-2013 at 09:39 AM. Reason: never heard

Blog Entries
    sounds like a fun idea... i'd never heard of it.
    Nancy in western NY

Power Poster
    I haven't heard of this custom. I have heard of seamstresses being asked to make bridal dolls with identical dresses for keepsakes from a wedding.

I remember them. The dresses were made from colored milk filters and attached to the hood ornament. Today most cars don't have hood ornaments. I searched the internet and you can still buy the colored milk filters and I think, with a bit of tinkering, I would remember how to make them. If I remember correctly we also made them with longer skirts as bed dolls - another long lost tradition. Gosh! I must be getting old!!! :-)
    Proud grandma of Coast Guard grandson and Air Force granddaughter!

Do not remember this, I am pretty old but really don't!!!! Great idea!!!

Oh yeah, I remember. Also remember the hoods of cars covered in paper flowers made out of colored facial tissues. Flower colors usually matched the bridesmaids dresses. I helped my SIL make a brown paper grocery bag full of these flowers once. I was married in 1975 but remember the tissue thing in the mid 1960's. Life was a lot more simple back then.

I honestly thought they were a tacky Aussie custom - did not realise that it was a big hit internationally.

I don't remember that, but I do remember when the bride and groom left their wedding reception to start their wedding night as soon as they could because usually they hadn't made love yet and just couldn't wait, or that's what the whole town thought.

The only way I'll drop 10 pounds is to go shopping in England. - Maxine-

pal
    I don't remember them, but do remember the dolls that sat on the bed. I thought that they were prizes from the carnival and that they must be the most beautiful dolls in the world.
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

Blog Entries
    Tanya, you made me laugh out loud. Thank you! I needed that!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast