Wedding Next Summer!

Old 08-06-2014, 06:38 PM

Default Wedding Next Summer!

My daughter and her fiancé are planning an August 2015 wedding. Does anyone have some great advice or web sites to share? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:55 AM

Congrats!!

My 2 cents. I have been in 10 weddings. I was the last to marry in my circle of friends. I had my wedding planned in 3 weeks then enjoyed the next months not worrying about a thing. I Kept the price down, had 150 guests and I enjoyed the day. I had a traditional church wedding and a public country club reception. You would be amazed at what I ended spending. It was very reasonable. It can be done with careful planning. If that is the goal. Your choice.

Keep it simple. Make a realistic budget. Who is paying for what? Don't get sucked in to "trends" . You don't need "party favors". IMHO. I personally hate "save the date" notices. Why waste the $$ and postage. Your friends and relatives will know the date once it is set. News travels. Start pricing then booking the reception place. They fill up early. Assuming the sky (money) is NOT The limit, sit down and talk about the plans, budget, and wish lists.

RESPECT the place of worship if they are going to marry in the church or synagogue, etc. (sic). Abide by the tradition of the sacred place of worship. I have dealt with bridezillas who wanted to use our church for their ceremony and disrespected the traditions and the clergy. Go get married in a park or hotel, etc if you are not going to follow the protocol. I could go on and on. But I won't. I assume that your couple is civilized and respectful.

There are great checklists in the bridal magazines and on wedding.com.

Enjoy the ride!
Sandy
Old 08-07-2014, 02:59 AM

start planning NOW! LOL! it will be here before you know it I don't know much about planning a wedding but I do know you need at least 6months to a year to book caterers and a hall for reception my son's wedding is next month already and I remember when they set the wedding date 2 years ago for sept 13,2014 I said that will be here before you know and sure enough it is, she planned and made her own decorations getting ideas from pintrest
Old 08-07-2014, 06:35 AM

So happy for your daughter!!. There are several areas where you can save money. For instance, instead of having professionally printed invitations, you could print them yourself. Walmart and other office supply stores have kits that include the invitation stock, tissue paper inserts and envelopes. You can make the bridal veil yourself; tulle is very inexpensive and easy to work with. Also, you can save on flowers by renting lots of greenery from a local nursery. You may get a small discount for picking these up yourself and bringing them back following the ceremony. For bouquets, buy silk flowers from Michael's or Hobby Lobby and arrange them yourself. Also, by starting now and picking up a few things along, you will find that the expense is spread out and doesn't have to come all at one time. I hope your daughter has a glorious day, and best wishes!!
Old 08-07-2014, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
Congrats!!

My 2 cents. I have been in 10 weddings. I was the last to marry in my circle of friends. I had my wedding planned in 3 weeks then enjoyed the next months not worrying about a thing. I Kept the price down, had 150 guests and I enjoyed the day. I had a traditional church wedding and a public country club reception. You would be amazed at what I ended spending. It was very reasonable. It can be done with careful planning. If that is the goal. Your choice.

Keep it simple. Make a realistic budget. Who is paying for what? Don't get sucked in to "trends" . You don't need "party favors". IMHO. I personally hate "save the date" notices. Why waste the $$ and postage. Your friends and relatives will know the date once it is set. News travels. Start pricing then booking the reception place. They fill up early. Assuming the sky (money) is NOT The limit, sit down and talk about the plans, budget, and wish lists.

RESPECT the place of worship if they are going to marry in the church or synagogue, etc. (sic). Abide by the tradition of the sacred place of worship. I have dealt with bridezillas who wanted to use our church for their ceremony and disrespected the traditions and the clergy. Go get married in a park or hotel, etc if you are not going to follow the protocol. I could go on and on. But I won't. I assume that your couple is civilized and respectful.

Enjoy the ride!
Sandy
Well Stated and very informative for the new couple and their families Sandy. I totally agree about the place of Worship, too often couples want to be married in a place of Worship, but many seldom attend one, and have no clue as to what the protocol of different religions are. A couple may have a very formal or informal, large or small wedding and the main thing that matters is that they will be entering into a Holy Matrimony, which is just what the words mean. That is the main purpose, not to break anyone's bank account, or belittle the vows to be taken. Please consider all parties involved, including the guest list when planning, especially whether formal or informal as some will want or need to purchase particular attire, that may or may not ever be used again, just for this wedding. I personally prefer informal weddings, and enjoy attending these over a formal wedding- it isn't the type that of wedding that matters, but the commitment the couple make to each other. DH and I had a small informal wedding, which is what we wanted, and all of our guests seemed to be comfortable and enjoy themselves- but that was 44 years ago the 22nd of this month, so maybe it will be a lasting commitment lol. Wishing the best to all involved and hoping the couple will have a long and happy marriage.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:51 AM

Congrats to the happy couple! stylemepretty.com was a great resource for my niece's wedding in 2010. Her wedding was featured on the blog, here: http://www.stylemepretty.com/2010/08...meegan-weaver/
Old 08-07-2014, 08:08 AM

Thanks to all of you that have responded. You made some great suggestions that I will share with my daughter.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:20 AM

Thank you so much for the link. Your niece was a beautiful bridge. I love (!!!!) the birds. Were they on top of the cake? The photographer did an amazing job.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:37 AM

My daughter had an August 10th wedding and it turned out to be the hottest day of the entire year. Be sure to plan on being indoors with AC. Otherwise, just make it theirs. Whatever they want
Old 08-07-2014, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

Good idea respecting protocol of the place of worship. A couple wanted to get married in church I grew up in and got married in. They wanted their 3 cats and 2 dogs in the wedding. Priest said no since they weren't service animals. They got married elsewhere and you guessed it. Pet poop down the aisle that had to be cleaned up before anyone else could walk down.
Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
Congrats!!

Enjoy the ride!
Sandy