Weight Blanket!

Old 02-18-2015, 10:18 AM

My HCE group has made the weighted blankets for Autistic Children. All of the sewing was done by our HCE members with donated materials. We did this as a year long project for our local county. We passed out about 150 blankets last year to varioius public and private schools and hospitals.

The blankets were made similar to the ones found online, but instead of pellets, ours are stuffed with bed sheets cut in 1/4s. Our panels were about 18' - 20' wide and 2 panels wide by 6 panels long. It took 12-- 1/4 sheets folded to fit in each panel. The panels were sewn together and stitched in between to make pockets to receive the folded sheets and the outer edges were closed with hook and loop tape. This allowed the ability to launder only the outer cover, (or all of it) with the inner folded sheets removed, when needed without taking hours to dry. If all of it needed laundering, it would be like doing a set of sheets in the washer and drier.

Originally Posted by llweezie View Post
Wondering if anyone else has heard of a Weight Blanket, it is weighed down with plastic pellets, and is for
children with autism, to help them sleep thru the night? Wondering if anyone has made one...?

Last edited by dee1245; 02-18-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:56 PM

Weighted blankets are good all around for those who have trouble sleeping. I'm going to make me one as half the time I don't get enough sleep!!
Old 02-18-2015, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by juneayerza View Post
There are also weighted vests for animals to calm them down; as an example during a thunder storm or fireworks.
The dog thunder shirts are made of swimsuit fabric to fit close to calm them. I don't believe they are actually weighted, but I have been wrong before.....
Old 02-18-2015, 06:40 PM

Madamekelly you are right. I just vaguely remembered the thunder shirt and added 2 plus 2 and came up with 5. Thanks for the correction.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:51 AM

I have made the autistic vest for children in Cleveland Co. school system, but not the blankets yet. The vests were made with deep pockets on the inside to hold weighted rice bags that could be remove for laundering. the weight has to be distributed evenly and is determined by the weight of the child. often the weight will have to be changed while the child is still able to wear the vest or use the blanket, so this needs to be kept in mind.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Here are some links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp8MpA12n04
http://agirlandhertube.blogspot.com/...w-to-make.html
http://www.mamasmiles.com/sewing-tut...nsory-blanket/
http://www.articles.complexchild.com/june2009/00130.pdf
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/833673
http://www.nationalautismresourcesbl...langslet-otrl/

The weight of the blanket depends not only on the size of the blanket, but on the size of the child. You want to do some research on the recommended weight (or get a recommendation from a medical professional) before making one.
I was going to point this out as well. My XSIL worked with Autistic children and their families for many years and these are covered through most insurance companies and Medicare.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:58 PM

Yes. The Cape County FCE clubs are doing the weighted blankets. We make them about 42"-45" wide ( the width of fabric) and about 38" long. We put commercial Velco on one end. sew up the other 3 sides and then sew channels
from top to bottom. we have the channels about 6" apart. then we stuff each channel with cut up strips of material. we put about 1 lb. in each channel. PM me if you want anymore information. We have been doing this project for about 4 years now. We do about 130 plus a year. Hope this makes since
Old 02-19-2015, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Some people just like lots of heavy covers. My step-daughter piles on the blankets and quilts when she goes to bed.

My daughter needs a hot rice bag for her feet a lot of the time, and I use a rice bag too when I go to bed. There were times when I put a large pillow on the bed right over my feet (for the weight) to get them to warm up. Now I use the hot rice bag. Works slick.
Off topic...but needing heat for your feet...that's a red flag for a thyroid disorder...she should get checked.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
Off topic...but needing heat for your feet...that's a red flag for a thyroid disorder...she should get checked.
Thanks for your concern. She had Gullion-Beare Disease. (not spelled correctly) The warmth stopped the tingling for a while. She is much better now but still likes to go to bed with a warm something. I do too, and I don't think I have any strange disease,....yet. If my feet are cold, I can't get to sleep