Weight Watchers?

Old 08-20-2014, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

Wow! Kudos for you! I actually lost weight when I broke my foot in June. was confined to a wheel chair. myarms don't look too bad having to lift my butt out of the chair. Not in chair anymore and trying to not sit much. LOL! Am watching what I eat. Low salt, sugar and fat.
Originally Posted by luce321 View Post
In 1972 weighing 159 lbs. I started WW and lost 29 lbs. in four months. I have kept the weight off and now weigh 126 lbs. I weigh in every month and do not follow the diet closely. After all this time, I know pretty much what I have to eat to keep the weight off. I think WW is the best diet ever.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:28 AM

I have been in and out of WW for decades. In 2004, I got serious about it and lost 42 pounds in less than 6 months. Have slowly gained some of it back, but have rejoined and have lost 7 pounds in less than 2 weeks (I know you always lose a bunch of water weight at the outset.) I have always followed the program, writing down everything I ate and weighing or measuring all my food.

This time, I am trying the "quick start" program that lets you eat anything from a long list -- mostly vegetables, fruits, lean protein and whole grains. It is simple and easy. I have never cared for chocolate, ice cream or peanut butter -- the banes of many a diet, but I was very bad around cookies. Now I find I don't miss them, I am fully satisfied and can button my favorite shorts after just a couple of weeks.

When you think about it, this program eliminates refined sugar and white flour, but if you told me not to eat those things, I would feel deprived. Instead, I'm being told what I can eat and it's working.

I agree with the doctor's comment about too much fruit. I limit myself to three a day and it is no problem.

Good luck!
Old 08-20-2014, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
You Go Girl! I don't do WW. I eliminated refined flour and refined sugar. Worked for me. I know many people who have had great success w/WW.
So did I. Not gluten free, just wheat free. It's amazing how much better I felt. Did it mainly because my system wasn't tolerating well anything I ate. Cutting out wheat, especially white flour also eliminates most of the sugars and fats that I had been eating. Began losing weight immediately. Lost over 25 lbs over 4 months. Wish I had cut out wheat years ago.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

Congratulations on your decision to join WW. I was a member off an on for several years. I think I lost a total of 140 lbs., but I had to quit going because my husband was out on disability and we couldn't afford the fees any longer. Unfortunately, I regained about half of the weight I lost, but I'm working on losing it again.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

i do ww best program to be on!!hang in there you can do it!!!
Old 08-20-2014, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by QUILTNMO View Post
i do ww best program to be on!!hang in there you can do it!!!

Ditto.....been with WW since 2001 and have maintained loss of about 65 pounds since 2004.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:44 AM

I go to WW's. so far down 8 1/2 lbs. I go on saturday mornings
Old 08-21-2014, 04:10 AM

I have been doing WW for a little more than two years. I hit my goal earlier this year and am at maintenance. They always tell you maintaince is harder than losing and they are right! You work hard, keep tracking, move to lose and then stay at the same weight. I know that is what you want to do but all that effort and no loss? I do feel better all around and last summer I got to go shopping for clothes that did not look like old sacks hanging on me.

Go after your goal and don't allow yourself to give up!! Fall off the wagon? Get back on! Allow yourself a treat now and again but not every day. HUMMMM, other tips I have used or heard, Oh, I weigh myself every day. For ME that is motivation. For YOU that may be discouraging. Do what will help YOU stay on track and lose, lose, lose.
Keep it touch if you wish. It is always good to have a buddy on this journey.

Congratulations on starting back. Keep in mind that even if you lose 1/2 of your goal, you will be ahead of where you are at the moment. Take a big breath and drink a glass of water. Go for it again.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
I went to my thyroid doctor a few weeks ago and she works mainly with diabetics. She told me WW used to be good but not to go there anymore. She said that when they added the unlimited fruit, that was terrible. Just telling you what a very good doctor said. Good Luck with your weight loss.
Just so you have a little more information about the unlimited fruit thing. This is not exactly accurate. On the WW plan any food in an unlimited has a points value and we are told to not assume that any food even the healthy one are unlimited. Fruit not unlimited. After eating a certain amount of fruit, it begins to be counted as points toward your daily allowed points. I don't have time to search the WW web site for the exact amount of fruit you can have before it begins to count but I will ask at my next meeting and post it on this thread.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:37 AM
BCM

I have wondered about Weight Watchers. Who are meeting leaders-a nutrionist or whom? Is it expensive?