We've gone tv less!

Old 09-20-2009, 11:11 AM

I don't watch any daytime tv. I don't turn the tv on for "background noise" either. If you're just turning it on for noise you're wasting electricity. When my kids were young we lived where we only had one channel. We had three choices, on with sound, on without sound or off! LOL

I do watch some shows in the evenings. If I want noise during the day I can go to www.pandora.com and listen to radio since I have the computer on anyway.

Hubby on the other hand watches some sort of sports 24/7.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:33 PM
MCH

I noticed that someone noted they had given up their land line phone as everyone in the family has a cell phone, I believe.

I'd like to suggest that it's a good idea to have at least a land line phone in the house for emergencies. When a call arrives at a 911 dispatcher's terminal, most places now have phone numbers associated with an address. Even rural 911 communications have the addressing scheme / database associated with land line telephone numbers. You call from home, they see your address. You call from work, they see the address.

If you call 911 from your cell phone, they have no clue where you are, and most likely, you will have no idea where they are. When you call 911 from a land line, you have a sense that you're talking to someone "local".

Cell phone emergency calls, in many areas, get "routed" to various emergency communication centers. The dispatcher has no idea where you are, beyond perhaps being able to locate the nearest cell tower to you. That's not good enough. They're going to have to ask you more questions relative to your location...then route you to the appropriate first responders.

My husband and I both have cell phones that are on 24x7, but we still have our land line. When I fell four years ago and couldn't get up, my husband grabbed the land line phone to call 911.

Cell phones are great and mine is either in my pocket or on my night stand, and I'm delighted to have it so available, but land lines do serve a purpose. You can always just get the "basic, minimal service plan" and use the cell phone for all other calls, including long distance.

Mobile is great, but re-consider getting rid of the land line.

Ring! Ring! Ring! :lol:
Old 09-21-2009, 02:35 PM
MCH

I noticed that someone noted they had given up their land line phone as everyone in the family has a cell phone, I believe.

I'd like to suggest that it's a good idea to have at least a land line phone in the house for emergencies. When a call arrives at a 911 dispatcher's terminal, most places now have phone numbers associated with an address. Even rural 911 communications have the addressing scheme / database associated with land line telephone numbers. You call from home, they see your address. You call from work, they see the address.

If you call 911 from your cell phone, they have no clue where you are, and most likely, you will have no idea where they are. When you call 911 from a land line, you have a sense that you're talking to someone "local".

Cell phone emergency calls, in many areas, get "routed" to various emergency communication centers. The dispatcher has no idea where you are, beyond perhaps being able to locate the nearest cell tower to you. That's not good enough. They're going to have to ask you more questions relative to your location...then route you to the appropriate first responders.

My husband and I both have cell phones that are on 24x7, but we still have our land line. When I fell four years ago and couldn't get up, my husband grabbed the land line phone to call 911.

Cell phones are great and mine is either in my pocket or on my night stand, and I'm delighted to have it so available, but land lines do serve a purpose. You can always just get the "basic, minimal service plan" and use the cell phone for all other calls, including long distance.

Mobile is great, but re-consider getting rid of the land line.

Ring! Ring! Ring! :lol:
Old 09-24-2009, 09:21 AM

my dh watches v 24/7. my kids don't OWN a tv. it's not a money thing. it's a mind thing. never watched when they were small, don't miss it now.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:04 PM

We've been without TV for over 15 years. We watch movies by DVD and while DH is glued to the set I stitch or read. He says it's impossible to know what is going on while doing either but I just smile and go back to what I was doing. Our kids hated no TV at first, but soon got used to it. We did much more as a family and were outside more. We also only have cell phones, no land line. I was against that at first. My job is being on the phone all day and I don't like carrying a phone so work can get hold of me 24 / 7. But, while travelling they are wonderful in emergencies. It's surprising what we can do without when we put our minds to it.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Power Poster

I gave up my land line 4 years ago and never looked back ! i have the local 911 programmed in my cell so when I need it , it is there and local . Of course I had to get the number from a police officer otherwise if you just dial 911 it can end up anywhere in the state :roll:

I have the TV on for background noise, don't watch many shows anymore, I do have a couple I "watch" but with quilting who has time to just sit and watch :wink:
Old 09-25-2009, 07:19 AM

Good for you, Ginnie6! A few years ago we had 'rolling blackouts' here in CA. They were power outages but they were scheduled. I remember my husband (a TVholic) and I playing board games by candelight and I enjoyed it so much. I was sad when the lights came back on. It's also nice to go out when the lights are off and look at the moon and the stars! I wish we could go TV less. We'd save $ and enjoy more.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Bee

Good for you, I did that for lent this year and don't miss it a bit. If I want to watch, I pop in a movie and watch something I really care to see. I wanted to save money too, but I also didn't like having to pay for channels that are demoralizing, such as the so-called "adult channels". I had a dish and you have to get the package and the adult channels come with the package. No TV for me till they come up with a plan where I can choose what I want to pay for! Bee
Old 10-01-2009, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Barbm
I wish we could go without tv. Would love to get rid of the dsl and landline. I think DS would go balistic. I only watch the news and have it on for noise when I'm sewing, so I guess I would miss it. I don't go on the internet much on the week ends- we could always come to the office to use it if we needed to.

I bet we could save over $140 a month if it all went away.

Great job! I admire you for doing so!
I've begun to ween myself of that TV in the background all the time. I don't even use a radio or listen to CDs. It's amazing how much I entertain myself right there in my noggin. :lol: I also find time for prayer and meditation this way.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bee
Good for you, I did that for lent this year and don't miss it a bit. If I want to watch, I pop in a movie and watch something I really care to see. I wanted to save money too, but I also didn't like having to pay for channels that are demoralizing, such as the so-called "adult channels". I had a dish and you have to get the package and the adult channels come with the package. No TV for me till they come up with a plan where I can choose what I want to pay for! Bee
can you get direct-tv? you can choose what plan you like. we have the basic channels and we get a nice selection. all the quilt shows, gardening, cooking, pbs, network, etc. no adult unless you pay extra :oops: who cares? i know what adults do. we only get it because it's tied in with our phone and computer as a package deal. since i'm always on the computer, i have no time to watch :mrgreen: