Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by mommafank View Post
    I am an avid reader who reads almost anything. Currently reading "Body Surfing" by Anita Shreve---not the best book but a quick one. I just finished "John Adams" by McCullough, "Gravesend Lighthouse" by David Payne, "Here on Earth" by Alice Hoffman. Over summer I read all five of the George R R Martin"s "Game of Thrones" series. Anyone who loved "Pillars of the Earth" would probably like these, but know each book is a minimum of 900 pages.
    Thank you for the information on the Martin books. I loved Pillars of the Earth and am reading the trilogy by the same author (Ken Follette) Fall of Giants, now Winter of the World and the third is being written. They are about World War II from the viewpoints of four families one in Russia, Germany, United States and England. Well written and fascinating showing the varying attitudes. Long books too!

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Anne B. View Post
    My all time favorite read is a memoir by Jeanette Wallis "The Glass Castle". did spend one summer reading all the John Grisham books I could get my hands on.
    My moms all time favorite book is "Beach Music", can't think who the author is, I couldn't get into that one.
    Gave Killing Kennedy to DH(actually for both of us) for xmas, maybe I will get that one started soon.
    PS: i spend so much time reading QB I don't read much else...
    I don't think I was ever so angry with parents as I was in "The Glass Castle". It was unbelievable and yet I knew it was true, but how parents could treat their children to that life they did just enraged me. It was an amazing memoir and, because I have been in book groups and writing groups and am writing my own life vignettes, her writing impressed me. It is so worth reading.

The Diana Gabaldon, Outlander series, is best I have ever read.

Loving life in the sun ! With sunscreen on of course ...
    LOL and here I am reading quilt books from the Library ..LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Have not read the story but seen the film was very good

Quote Originally Posted by May in Jersey View Post
    Although I only began reading "Sarah's Key" yesterday afternoon I'm about 2/3's through it already. Story unfolds in chapters alternating between France in 1942 and present day France. I belong to a small quilt/book group within my guild and this book is the most interesting book on our list in a long time.

read this book liked the format.

Quote Originally Posted by alwayslearning View Post
    This was an eye opening book. For another different view of WWII, try Mary An Shaffer's Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It is an interesting view of life in the occupied Channel Islands during the war. And it is much lighter than Sarah's Key.

Blog Entries
    I am on a kick reading historical novels, and historical biographies, etc. Right now am reading "She-Wolves" by Helen Castor. Don't particularly like the title! It is about 3 queens that ruled England before Elizabeth I. Very interesting. For lighter reading I love Jeffry Deaver's mystery books.....as well as Cornwell's historical novels, all based on something real, but reading like a good novel.

Blog Entries
    I loved her books, too, tho the last one I read was a little bit too explicit and differed from the earlier books in the series.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for those sites. I will check them out today!

Blog Entries
    I read 100 books last year. I've read many of the same authors as some of you. I just got a bunch of books by Lee Childs so I was glad to hear it's a good read. I am reading a series now by Lee Harris, they are lite mysteries. I am curently reading The Fixer Upper by Mary Kay Andrews. She's a fun read. M DD and I go to a book swap every Jan. This year we turned in 97 books. Last year we turned in 500. No we didn't take 500 back. LOL It's a good way to try new authors.
    We would worry less about what others think of us if we realized how seldom they do.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast