Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What brand of shampoo do you use? >

What brand of shampoo do you use?

What brand of shampoo do you use?

Old 10-28-2013, 06:58 AM

Default What brand of shampoo do you use?

I have heavy coarse hair. I keep it short because it has a kink...not enough to call curly. When it starts to get long, it sticks off in all directions.
I have tried various shampoos/conditioners but, as I get older, I am finding that my hair always looks dull/drab. Most of the time I eat healthy foods and I do drink lots of water.

Have any of you had this happen? Could you recommend a good shampoo and conditioner?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:37 AM

Next time you get your hair cut ask the stylist for a recommendation. He/she would be able to look at and feel your hair and would probably have a good suggestion.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

There are shampoos out there for your type of hair. They have shampoos for frizz control and conditioners also. When you use either leave it in the hair for the length of your shower if you shower. Then rinse. Then towel dry and apply the conditioner. Many don't know how to apply conditioner. If you put a dab in your palm of your hands then just run your fingertips through the hair and work it from the scalp out. (Note if you have a slightly oily scalp don't work the conditioner into the scalp.) you can have an oily scalp but dry hair. After working it through the hair finish what you need to do like drying off. Go rinse the conditioner. There are leave in conditioners and treatments for frizzy/wiry hair.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

sometimes it's your health too or hormones that cause it to look dull. mine did that for awhile. now shines again.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

I have gray, wiry hair and have found that my hair does better using only conditioner. I wash my hair in the shower every day and simply use conditioner instead of shampoo, washing out the conditioner just as if it were shampoo. The conditioner should not contain silicone. White Rain from the Dollar Store works great for me! I used to buy very expensive shampoo/conditioner combos from my hairdresser. For my hair at least, they didn't seem to work any better than this cheap conditioner alone.

If you Google "curly hair", you will find some websites that suggest trying conditioner only. Shampoo often strips too much of the natural hair oil from the hair.

A hairdresser posted that conditioner can build up on your hair, but that an occasional vinegar rinse will take care of that. I haven't seen the need for that, but might try it. My problem is that the walls of our shower are limestone, and vinegar eats limestone!

Oh, one other thing I noticed when I switched to White Rain conditioner only. The itchy bumps on my scalp went away!

Should mention that my dd, who has coarse curly hair, usually uses a Redken shampoo/conditioner purchased from Ulta.

Edit: Wanted to add that my dd's hair doesn't get soft and shiny unless she also (1) uses a color rinse in her hair (can be a clear color rinse), and/or (2) gives her hair a deep conditioning treatment. She has done both at the hairdresser's, but it gets expensive. Lately she has been buying home treatments from a beauty supply store. They are not quite as good, but they are good enough so that she can go to the hairdresser's much less often for their treatments. Here is a link to one of the products she uses (she uses all 3 together for one treatment at home):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005U482SI/
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UPMP3E/
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZUH1CO/
She did a lot of research on Youtube to narrow it down.

Last edited by Prism99; 10-28-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:28 AM

I think the shampoo/conditioner is just a small part of how our hair looks. I think styling gels, foams, etc. make a huge difference. My hair is kind of like yours that it kinks, and I have a wave in the back. I have found having my hair shoulder length helps control it more. I try to work with it, not against it. I use Aveda Flax Seed gel. It's a little pricey, I think about $20 a bottle, but I use the amount of about the size of a quarter. I spread it through my hair at the roots, comb it, and let it go, drying naturally. If I choose to blow dry it, it just adds more control to the waves.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:33 AM

I use Pantene Icy Shine shampoo and conditioner and it sure has brightened up my old hair.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:56 AM

For the frizzies, I use John Frieda's Frizz-Ease - straight fixation smoothing creme. I put it on after I have toweled dried my hair. Put a little in your hand palm and apply it to the top layer of your hair. As for the dull side, maybe you are over washing your hair - try every second or third day for shampooing. It sounds like you are washing away all the natural oil in your hair.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:06 PM

I am cheap...we use Suave. We have been happy using it.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:25 PM

I learned that just before my hair really started to turn gray , it got dull just before. Sorry!