Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What can one do to prevent fleas? >

What can one do to prevent fleas?

What can one do to prevent fleas?

Old 09-03-2011, 01:39 PM

We took Dabbie to the groomer this past week to get his toenails trimmed. We came home with fleas! I have washed everything that is washable in the house and sprayed everything that is not! I am so mad. I like the way they do his nails, never cut too short or hurt him. I am now going to try to find someone else to trim his nails in the future. I just hate all the work it has produced. We even shampooed the carpet! Long day. Does anyone know of anyway to prevent a pet from picking up these nasty little hitchhikers?
Old 09-03-2011, 01:47 PM

Comfortis is an internal med. I live in the "fleas never hibernate state of Florida". I give our beagle/rat terrier mixes one pill for their weight every 6 wks and we never have fleas.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:50 PM

I put advantage on my dogs. They never get fleas. I either clip my dog's nails. When I don't, I take them to the vet for it. No fleas there.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:52 PM

I dont but will be following this post. We also took our dogs to the groomers, PAID $60 that we can't afford and only take them every 2 or 3 months.
The last groomer visit, we take the dogs in to the groomers...the dogs just love the lady that grooms them and gets all excited when we say "want to go see kim".
Shes never hurt either one of the dogs...we treat the dogs with flea medicine they never have fleas, we get them back from the groomers and they look good, hair cut is great ( one is a poodle and we have him shaved totally)A couple days later....our long haired chihuahua is scratching and scratching. We ASSUMED that they didnt rinse all the soap or whatever it is they use to bathe them with off of him. Sooooo I being the nice Mommy to the doggies...gave him a bath....I WAS PISSED hes crawling with fleas!!!!!! Tons of them. OMG. They didnt have fleas until that visit...I don't know if it is because they were there for 5 hours which normally they aren't there that long maybe 2-3 hours tops. I bought doggie clippers and I am going to figure out HOW TO CUT a poodles hair if its the last thing on this earth I do. I will not take them back to the groomers. They aren't going to pay to get rid of the fleas that they have gotten from there. So technically we paid $60 for fleas....DANG WHAT A BARGIN.....NOT!!!!!!
I did bathe them in the blue Dawn Dish soap as that will help kill them off, but man it is such alot of work to get rid of these stupid little things...Lord? Why did you make Fleas? Can't wait for some answers here.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian
Comfortis is an internal med. I live in the "fleas never hibernate state of Florida". I give our beagle/rat terrier mixes one pill for their weight every 6 wks and we never have fleas.
Where do you get Comfortis? Is it expensive?
Old 09-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Eventho you shampooed the carpet you will need to vacuum daily to get the new hatched fleas. Do this daily for about 2 weeks and empty the vacuum each time outside the home in the trash. If you don't then the fleas will crawl out of the vacuum.

I'm sorry this happened to you.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:59 PM

We get Comfortis from our vet on a monthly basis. We can't afford the 6 months at a time, but monthly is only around $16. Sounds kinda high, but it does work and fast. It's worth it for us. And it's in a pill form, so we don't have to worry about it being washed off in his bath.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:09 PM

I second Comfortis! Great product!
Old 09-03-2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by peggymunday
We get Comfortis from our vet on a monthly basis. We can't afford the 6 months at a time, but monthly is only around $16. Sounds kinda high, but it does work and fast. It's worth it for us. And it's in a pill form, so we don't have to worry about it being washed off in his bath.
Thank you I will get some from our vet next time we go to town. Hopefully I won't forget. LOL
Old 09-03-2011, 03:24 PM

You might check at your local shelter to see if they sell flea meds. I get Advantage Multi for my cats at our local Humane Society a LOT cheaper than the Vet.