Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What children should know before entering Kindergarten? >

What children should know before entering Kindergarten?

What children should know before entering Kindergarten?

Old 09-22-2010, 06:39 AM

I doubt if a list or website would help the kids that really need help. The parents that would be interested in seeking a list would be parents that already work with their kids. I also believe that children in K don't need to know much except how to listen and behave at the start of the school year. This is the year they should learn to socialize, learn to follow directions, and then the basics. Education is very important, no question about that, but I really think our little ones are expected to be "grown-up" way to early. And then when they get into higher grades, learning seems to take a back seat. My daughter works in the school system, not a teacher, but as the attendance clerk. She was shocked recently when a senior student asked her what time it was when a huge clock was in sight. She pointed to the clock and the girl still didn't know. Seems her digital watch had stopped working and the only way she could tell time was by "reading the numbers"!! She knew nothing about breaking down the minutes or hours. DD made her come into her office after school so she could teach her. Another thing that bothers DD and myself is that elementery students are not being taught how to print and write properly. Half the time you can'T decipher their words because the letters aren't placed above and below the lines. I say "stop wasting time in first grade with computer time, learn how to print properly". Off my soap box now!!LOL
Old 09-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Pam

One day soon computers are not longer going to be our communication. Anyone who thinks this is what will save us from ruin is foolish. My larders are stocked. What did you do for your family today?
Old 09-23-2010, 08:34 AM

I love all of your answers to my question! I think everyone has the right idea! It certainly has made me think. If they had offered Kindergarten when I was a child, I would have started at age 4. The cut off date was November 1st. How sad to stop childhood so soon.
Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you to all who responded to my question. Maybe this will be the topic of my thesis for my masters program. It is all certainly interesting!