Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What to do with Hand Embroidery >

What to do with Hand Embroidery

What to do with Hand Embroidery

Old 06-15-2014, 12:40 PM

Default What to do with Hand Embroidery

When cleaning out my Mon's home last year, I found a set of pillow cases which has beautiful hand embroidery work on the top of the front of the case. However, the actual top of the case needs to be finished out as it has never been hemmed and I can't figure out how it is supose to be done. About 3/8 of an inch above the hand embroider stitching is a machine scalloped line of stitching and about 1/2 inch above that stitching is the raw edge of the fabric. The width of the fabric above the scolpped edge is not wide enough to turn the fabric under 1/4 inch to make a small hem. I remember seeing these pre-printed patterned pillow cases for sale at the 5 & 10 Cent Stores when I was a child ( like in the early 50's ) and we used them on our beds when I was growing up but I never paid any real attention to how they were finished out. I'm thinking maybe the case even had a wide row of cotton lace at the top. Can anyone help me with this?

I am very blessed as my Mom is still living and turned 100 yrs old in January. I would love to finish these out and take them up to the Nursing Home for her to use. I think seeing the finished cases would really put a big smile on her face as she has reached that stage in life where she can rember the past but not so much of the present.

Thank you in advance for your help and/or suggestions with my issue.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:57 PM

a picture would help understand, and if you took them to her she may be able to tell you since they are from long ago, I'm so happy you still have her. I just lost mine in Oct. at 83 yrs, she left lots of embroidery from her and her mother, my sisters and I divided, I'm going to put mine together into a quilt, not sure yet of the exact plan. good luck
Old 06-15-2014, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

I would make a binding (or purchase) to attach to what little hem you have, like a washable satin or polished cotton. You could look at some of your own pillowcases and see how to attach and finish. Since she's in the nursing home maybe attach a small label on the back to show who the rightful owner is. Pretty things have a tendency to come up missing almost immediately in nursing homes. Take photos of everything you take and what is in her room. Ask me how I know. Friend of mine took photos like these. When anything came up missing she posted them on Facebook. Her one nurse was terminated. The weirdest photo and how she got caught was the one of her mother's purse. It was old and cute and just a little different. Someone saw it and was appalled and turned it in.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:15 PM

The cases usually were finished with a crochet edging. The stitching made it easier for a small crochet hook to be used. I have many sets of these made by my grandmother.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:16 PM

Yes, a picture would be helpful.... I'm wondering if the scallops were supposed to be the edge, and the excess fabric was to be trimmed off.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:21 AM
Power Poster

the stitched scalloped area is showing you where to attach the lace, or crocheted edging- use it as a guide, you can purchase lace in many sizes/widths and designs at Joanne's and hobby lobby- many other craft stores- attach it with pins along the scalloped edge- stitch it in place, then trim the excess underneath fabric to 1/4".
Old 06-16-2014, 02:55 AM

These are pictures of crocheted edged pillow cases on eBay, and a couple are scalloped. You can crochet the edge, or add lace.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...CROCHETED+EDGE
Old 06-16-2014, 03:12 AM

Riverton Quilter, now that you mentioned it, I do remember my Mom crocheting an edge on these. That was so many years ago that I had just forgotten. Thank you so much for responding as you have resolved my problem.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:35 AM

I'm guessing the stitching is "hemstitching". It consists of tiny holes where you put your crochet hook to crochet the lace directly to the pillow case(s). If you don't crochet, you can still attach purchased lace and hand stitch the edge to those holes. Contact your local crocheting group for assistance if there is one or check with your local library to find a how-to book. It will probably be in the crochet area.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

You will be sorry if you leave these treasures at the nursing home. They tend to get lost. Ask me how I know. I would take them and show her how you finished them but not leave them there.