Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What to do with an idea?

Blog Entries

What to do with an idea?

I have an idea for a new unique use for a product that is on the market, but not for quilting use. This idea could be very profitable to the manufacturer/seller. It would be a new way to market the product and use it. I don't know what to do with the idea. Do I contact the manufacturer or just tell every one who might buy it and use it? Do you think the manufacturer might pay me for the idea?

That's a good question for a lawyer. Do you have a lawyer friend that could advise you?

Power Poster
    ​Why not contact the company (without mentioning your idea) and ask if they are interested in a great market opportunity for their product. If they sound interested then get some legal help to draft your proposal?

Also, I read somewhere in the past that you should write out all of the information and post it to yourself. When it comes in the mail, keep it sealed. You'll have the date on the postmark to show when you had the idea, in case someone tries to steal it from you or something!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MS quilter View Post
    I have an idea for a new unique use for a product that is on the market, but not for quilting use. This idea could be very profitable to the manufacturer/seller. It would be a new way to market the product and use it. I don't know what to do with the idea. Do I contact the manufacturer or just tell every one who might buy it and use it? Do you think the manufacturer might pay me for the idea?
    https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...&client=safari

Quote Originally Posted by michelleoc View Post
    Also, I read somewhere in the past that you should write out all of the information and post it to yourself. When it comes in the mail, keep it sealed. You'll have the date on the postmark to show when you had the idea, in case someone tries to steal it from you or something!
    Definitely sage advice in my mind. There are so many copyright issues out there. I probably would contact the company with little to no specifics. Even if you get no interest from them, then contact a patent attorney. If I'm not mistaken, you can still patent/copyright others products if using them for other than the original marketed use.

Blog Entries
    Thank you. I will do this first.

This is very interesting and might help out...
    http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2010/11/23...idea/id=13495/

Blog Entries
    Definitely contact a patent attorney. One that deals 95% in patents. There are some out there who deal in a duke's mixture. Make sure you have all your information and it wouldn't hurt you to check out the links posted. Do your due diligence ahead of time.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, that sounds good. The only thing, I live in a very rural area. I don't even know if there is one in our state!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast