What do you do at 2 a.m.?

Old 05-23-2012, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by true4uca View Post
I read this years ago.
1. Make a list of quite chores you hate ( mine was ironing dress shirts).
2. When you can't sleep, get up.
3. Dress completly as if you are leaving the house.
4. Consult list, starting with most detested chore, perform chores 1 hour ( no cheating).
5. Go back to bed, within a few days insomia won't be a problem. When you wake up you'll know you have to do those chores. You'll groan & go back to sleep.
LOL. I'll have to remember this.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:20 AM

I think for us of a certain age waking up in the middle of the night is just the way it is now. I used to be a head drop on the pillow and lights out until the alarm rings. Now if I am having a good night I only wake up once or twice a night. When I am having trouble getting back to sleep I use this simple exercise. I count to two over and over and time it with my breathing...one is inhale, two is exhale. I can usually fall back asleep in a matter of minutes. I found that if I get up to do something or turn on the TV or add any stimulation at all I will not fall back to sleep and feel poorly for the rest of the day. I have found a sleep mask, I made one out of flannel, is somehow quite comforting. The gentle pressure of the flannel on my eyes is a cue for me to go sleep now. If I can get just four more hours of sleep it is enough. To make the mask I just took two pieces of flannel and free cut a shape, sewed it with a piece of cotton batting inside, the back was made from a wider, softly elastic head band I already had.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:31 AM

Actually, I sleep!
Old 05-23-2012, 09:25 AM

thats when i punch in for work,so i getup at 1230am every day
Old 05-23-2012, 01:44 PM

When I was younger I would get up and clean out my kitchen cabnets, and do odds and ends that I would be unable to get to during the day. Now I sit on the side of the bed and play games on my iPhone. I have thought about getting up and working on a quilt but then I would be up all night and end up sleeping all day.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:49 PM

I'm finding that having hot flashes is waking me up more! I'll have to read what you all do!
Old 05-23-2012, 01:54 PM

One thing I don't do when I'm up during the night and can't sleep, that is do some sewing. I did that one night and the next morning DH said he had terrible dreams about a train roaring towards him. That's when I realized that since my sewing room is right over our bedroom the train he was dreaming about was actually the sound of my machine sewing! LOl!
Old 05-23-2012, 05:20 PM

I always have an "insomnia project" going. Right now it's a baby quilt. I turn on a video and sew. Right now it's season 4 of Murder She Wrote to keep me company.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:34 PM

I am always reading a book, so I get and read until I get tired again...sometimes that takes several hours, but being retired does have its perks as I just sleep late in the morning.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:46 PM

I use to do that with hotflashes-I now take One A Day Menopausal vitamins and it worked-no more hotflashes-I feel great