Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do you do when you CAN NOT fall asleep? >

What do you do when you CAN NOT fall asleep?

What do you do when you CAN NOT fall asleep?

Old 10-01-2011, 10:28 PM

I have just finished my seventh night in a row, no sleep til 2 yet I have to be up at 6 a.m. I stopped my nerve meds two nights to see if that would help. Nope. Took a Unisom, a whole one as usually 1/2 can knock me out fast and that is something I rarely take more than 3 or 4 nights a year. I was still unable to sleep. Any ideas? ps I havent napped once and am sure getting very tired but not sleepy if that makes sense.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:31 PM

I can relate since I have a severe sleep disorder. I have to take two medications each night in order to sleep. It beats being awake and exhausted. If it keeps up see your doctor. Lack of sleep is very unhealthy.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:32 PM

I feel for ya.... I know I am wake several times a night but I also have the option of taking a nap during the day.

Did you take your nerve meds at night or in the morning? My doc told me I should take them in the morning as they have a effect of tired for only about the first 3 to 4 hours then there is a burst of energy. I take mine at about 7 or 8 in the eveing in hopes that the burst will hit be before bedtime. I wake up all hours of the night sue to this back hip leg pain tho.

I hope you get some sleep soon.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:37 PM

Tell me about it. I've now taken 1 and 1/2 muscle relaxers plus Neuronten (sp). Also 2 Benadryl cause I pulled a few weeds this afternoon and should't have. I did fall asleep for about an hour when I lay down with my grandson. Now I'm wide awake and know in the morning is going to be rough!! I do have a subscription sleeping med but hesitate to take it with my grandson here. It leaves me with a hangover. :(

Oh well, it will hit me one day next week and I'll sleep for 24 hours. Doctors tell me if I get 4 hours per nite, it's probably a good night for me. Thanksfully, I don't work!!

In the meantime, I'll occupy myself on the QB. :)
Old 10-01-2011, 11:17 PM

I had this problem a few months ago, hubby thought I just didn't want to go to bed. I would stay up til 3-4 am then sleep til 6am, did this every night for about a month and I was sooo tired! I'm not on any meds so only thing I changed was my caffine, I stopped ALL caffine around 3pm nothing after that but water or milk. We usually go to bed about 11pm and this started working an hour or so earlier each night. Now I'm back to normal again. Good luck, do some quilting maybe?
Old 10-02-2011, 12:00 AM

From postings I read, particularly this week, there are a lot of us out there that can't sleep. I've been awake since 2:30 a.m. which isn't unusual but it makes for a long day.....I can't nap during the day either. Today is especially stressful because I'm moving from one apt to another due to black mold in current apt.

I'm almost 65, live alone, suffered a heart attack and stroke late last year and am a Master of What If's ! Have folks set up to move me later in the day and have prepared as much as I can......luckily, since I'm just moving to adjacent apt I don't HAVE to have everything done in one day, but still, I can't stand chaos......even though I'm just moving to other side of the building everything will need to be touched at one point or another......

Have Rx for sleep but it causes some horrible dreams and a "hangover" feeling the next day I don't think it is worth it. Bought Advil PM this week but still haven't tried it...the real issue isn't falling asleep but staying asleep. Once I wake up I fret because I should be sleeping.....I feel your pain !
Old 10-02-2011, 01:04 AM

I get on here! hello. I've been waking up at 3:30 or so for the last 4 mornings and cannot get back to sleep. So I try to stay in bed and sleep; but it just isn't there. I end up getting up and making coffee and checking in on my quilty friends on here. Good morning to y'all. Hope that you have a sleepfilled night tonight.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:15 AM

Lately I wake up early even if I'm not working. When I work, I usually wake up about 4:45am. Where I work, if it's super busy they'll call us up at all hours to see if we want to come work.

Even though I was already awake this morning at 4:45 when the phone range, I thought it was work. Nope, crank phone call. I'm pretty sure who it was though. Snarky little teen age girls! Ex-friends of my daughter.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:28 AM

It is 220 in the morning and I am on QB and watching a dumb movie...this is pretty usual.This is after taking a muscle relaxant, my neuropathy meds, pain meds and benadryl. Have tried a lot of different interventions over the yrs ... have found that a prescription sleeping pill or over-the-counter Melatonin help best. But have to be careful which Rx-med I take bec there can be so many weird side effects. The Melatonin is great but I am groggy the next day for a while. The grogginess does wear off after a couple of weeks tho. BUT sleep deprivation is serious and can lead into some serious health problems.

Bec I worry about getting dependent on this stuff I switch what I am doing to help me sleep every couple of months. By doing this it also keeps me from becoming "used to" the meds and then they are not effective. Right not I am not taking anything extra to give my system a "drug holiday" It is not fun. Wish I could stay up all nite & quilt, but everyone else in my life is not on this nite schedule. :-) I feel your pain, Let us know what solutions you come up with/
Old 10-02-2011, 02:49 AM

Wow, I thought I was the only one not able to sleep. I went to bed at 11:30 and was awake by 1:30 and now am drinking coffee, and reading the QB, hoping I will get tired again...