Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do you think Sara would like for Christmas? >

What do you think Sara would like for Christmas?

What do you think Sara would like for Christmas?

Old 11-07-2016, 02:17 PM
MCH

Unhappy What do you think Sara would like for Christmas?

This past Saturday, we were with our 5 yr. old grandson, Aaron, his 2 1/2 yr.old brother Matthew, and their sister, Sara, nearly 3 months old. While talking with our son and DIL about holiday plans and gifts, I asked Aaron what he thought his little sister would like for Christmas. "A dolly," he quietly told me. "She may like that," I replied.

Hmmm...she will be only a bit more than 5 months old at Christmas. I'll have to give it some thought. The mind begins to churn.

Later, in the car on the way home, I remembered a pattern I'd had tucked away of a soft-sculpture cradle and small stuffed dolly that would be perfect for little hands to manipulate and to hold. I could see the pattern in my mind, where it might be, and remembered that I had cut out most of the pieces for the cradle...Then, I painfully remembered that several months ago, in a "purging state of mind" I had cleaned out some drawers and shelves of projects I knew I would never complete or didn't like anymore. Horrors!!! Had I donated the pattern and fabric for the cradle and dolly that would be perfect for Sara?? Oh, no!!

Yesterday morning, even before I had my coffee, I went on a search. I searched through a couple of drawers in the chest of drawers in the guest bedroom, thinking the pattern / project would be there. Nope...oh, dear. Not in the closet, either. I knew it wasn't in the sewing room. Where, oh where? Did I really donate it?

You know how what you're looking for is always in the last place you look? The downstairs bedroom still has quite a bit of my "vintage" sewing / quilting things in that closet. It was my last resort in my search. There, lying on the shelf on top of a stack of stuff was the pattern and the cut out / basted pieces that I had done so long ago.

I was literally doing a happy dance. The dog went back upstairs to the bedroom where my DH was till asleep. Later, when I told my DH of my search and success, he said, "So that's why you were opening drawers and the closet in the other bedroom...and muttering." "Yep."

I had intended to make that dolly and cradle for my cousin's daughter. She has children of her own, now, I think.

This is the link to the "vintage" pattern (copy and paste into a browser)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1722763...rch_query=doll cradle pattern&ref=sr_gallery_16

It's "Soft Cradle and Dolly" by Patch Press. The copyright date on the pattern is 1981.

Now, Sara will have her dolly for Christmas. Thanks, Aaron. Grandma loves you and your suggestion. You're becoming a thoughtful and wonderful brother.

Last edited by MCH; 11-07-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:30 PM

Cute story! Glad you found what you were looking for. Please post pictures when it is done. I would love to see it.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:37 PM

I had that very same pattern and made it twice! I think I purged mine in a garage sale. But my younger sister, lover of all crafty things, was in hospital recovering from a blood clot in her lungs--kidney failure--dialysis--all the depressing stuff that can hospitalize you. I had almost finished the cradle set, so I hurried and took it to her for her to look at/ Lo and behold, a nurse on the floor who was soon having a baby, happened to see it and insisted she must have one for her nursery. My sister promised I would make one for her for $20. She said the nurse was overjoyed & so...I got twenty dollars richer. My sister is now gone following heart surgery, and this happened back in the late '80's. Isn't it just the cutest little set ever?!
Old 11-07-2016, 02:43 PM

[QUOTE=MCH;7694893] It's "Soft Cradle and Dolly" by Patch Press. The copyright date on the pattern is 1981.

Yes! I said late '80's because we moved into this house in '81 and I know it was maybe 4-5 years later that I made the sets. I put cardboard in the rockers of the 2nd set so they would stand and not collapse. Possibly I could have stuffed tighter.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:53 AM

Congrats on finding the pattern and fabrics! YAY! Enjoyed reading your story.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
Cute story! Glad you found what you were looking for. Please post pictures when it is done. I would love to see it.
I agree! That is a really great pattern.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:46 PM
Power Poster

what a soft, cute dolly. She will love it forever, and it may turn into a family heirloom.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:38 AM

My DD was a month old on Christmas Day. She was the first girl since me, and she got 5 dolls. So, little Sara does need a dolly. Her brother is looking out for her already!!
Old 11-09-2016, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

My neighbor has made this set for each of her 7 granddaughters. Every one is different. A couple got worn out during hospital visits and travel but they still have them.