Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: What do your Grandkids call you??

I'd always thought I'd like to be called Mimi, but my DIL's favorite grandmother was "Mimi" to her, and she died just before my first grandchild was born. I just couldn't ask to take her name so soon. My name is Millie, and most of the names were already taken (other grandmothers, step-grandmothers, great grandmothers--my fault for waiting), so I chose Gamil. The first grandchild shortened that to just "Mil," and it has stuck. They often introduce me as "MyMil," as though people will know that means "my grandmother". Now the twins have come along, and my younger son wants them to call me Mil as the older grandchildren (older son's children) do. They just turned 2. Sometimes they call me "Mil" but one often calls me "Mum," and the other calls me "Mimi," (what I wanted to be called from the first. Whatever they call me is fine with me. It's not the name--just how excited they are to see me when I arrive that's important.
    Last edited by MillieH; 09-19-2012 at 01:22 PM.

You have many names listed. A friend is called Kim Dandy (her name is Kim) Another friend is called Pops (he's a guy) Oma, and Opa, Baba, my name when I was litttle, my husbands X got it for her grands. Sometimes it is what ever they call you, but if you want one you will like, choose one.
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mine call us Nana and Pah Paw,,,whatever they call you sounds sweet from their little voices!This is Nanas girl,Natalie.
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image 

My mom was always Nanna or Nanny and my dad was Grandy ... sadly they have both passed now, and my kids are only 6, 8 & 10. I think you will find that whatever you settle with as a grandparent name, the kids will adapt it in their own way and find their own special name for you x

Guess I'm old fashioned. My grandkids call me Grandma - but not often enough! I have a friend whose kids call her ma and pa. Don't think I'd like that.

Blog Entries
    I'm just the 'crazy aunt' that belongs to everyone!
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    What a cutie!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Riversong View Post
    Mine call us Nana and Pah Paw,,,whatever they call you sounds sweet from their little voices!This is Nanas girl,Natalie.

My grand kids call us Mimi and Bumpa When the 1st one started to talk that was what she called us and the other followed suit

Blog Entries
    My first son was the first born grandchild on both sides. He has two great grandmothers, 2 grand mothers and one grandfather.

He chose to call my Mum Mama, may Dad Par-Par, his paternal grandmother Grandma Roberts (yes both words). The great grandmothers were Great Granny and Grandmother Roberts (no great).

My second son was the first grandchild on my husband's side. His grandfather is Grandpa Bill, his grandmother, Nana or Grandma Nana. His step grandma is Auntie Diane. Grandpa Lloyd (dh step father) passed away before our DD was born.

Now the kids also have Granny Paddy (my step mother) and Grandpa David (my mother's partner).

We have multicultural grandparents, Granny Paddy is a New Zealander, Grandpa David is from India, Grandpa Bill lives in the Uk with his English wife who the kids call Auntie Diane.

My red head, blue eyed freckled son loves to tell people his grandfather is Indian. He classmates do not believe him, until they meet David.

Often the child will determine the name for the grandparent. I was the first born on my Dad's side and could not say grandma and already had a Granny. I called her Mar-mar. Dad was thrilled when my son called him Par-par.

Blog Entries
    My grandchildren call me Nana. For my husband one of them call him Papa and the Pops.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast