Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
what is the finish on a counter/table  with coins? >

what is the finish on a counter/table with coins?

what is the finish on a counter/table with coins?

Old 09-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Power Poster

If the gouged tops are the black kind of like rubber tops, I believe they are a special top just for science rooms. If that is the case, the new top would have to be an approved substance that could safely resist acids, budsen burners and all that other science crap.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:23 PM

There is a coating called Modge Podge, available in craft stores, maybe even Walmart, that I have used a while back. I uaed it to coat several hanging projects and some trays with different things under it for decoration. Pretty easy to use.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:25 PM

DH has used the sheet formica. The surface must be clean and sound. Gouges need to be filled in - he suggests bondo. Then sand surface smooth. Edges will need to be trimmed with a router and filed. This is not a difficult project IF you have experience with these tools. It's easy to make a mistake.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:34 PM

The 2 part epoxys are really beautiful for effect, but very expensive and you have to do it perfectly or it wont come out right, and - it has to be non reactive if its in a chem lab.

anything done in a classroom would have to be run by the admin/principal/board and so on or she might be written up or worse.

some official from the table manufacturer or supplier would have to actually let the school know what surface would be officially safe to use in a chem lab room, with MSDA forms - everyone already knows they will just say "replace the tables".

Face it, the only people who need to have the tables fixed asap are the KIDS! and their needs come LAST! By the time the dust clears from all the paper pushing for this project these fifth graders will have children of their own going to school here and your daughter will be ready to retire. (that's the reality of trying to do something nice these days) sharet
Old 09-25-2011, 05:06 AM

Not knowing what the desk tops look like....would it be possible to remove them and flip them over. Then maybe put some type of hole plugs or wood filler in the screw holes. Or if you get the ok to put new laminate on them, at least you would have a clean surface to work with. Good luck!
Old 09-25-2011, 09:19 AM

yes, ari, i was checking the price on line and see the 2 part system is VERY expensive. $119 a qt. she did tell me when i was talking to her the lst time. slow down, mom. we have to talk to my principle. she mentioned this, cause they were giving a test next week for 'gifted' classes. and that the kids had to be careful with the positions of their papers, or they would make holes in them. etc.
she did say the tops were black now.