Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is the job situation in your part of the world? >

What is the job situation in your part of the world?

What is the job situation in your part of the world?

Old 09-08-2010, 03:31 AM

TG I still have my job but I have friends and relatives who've been downsized and can't find another.
There doesn't seem to be anything available.
One man I know (in his 50s and been out of work for 2 years) applied at a fast food place and they wouldn't hire him either. Said he wouldn't fit in with the teenagers. (It's not the fast food you're probably thinking of).

Are there jobs where you are?
Old 09-08-2010, 03:41 AM

Things are pretty bad in MN. Thankfully I am working and husband is working most of the time. I have a son and Brother in law who have worked very little in over 2 years. Both in construction. My daughter will graduate from college in December. She is heading to Portland OR so I hope the job market is better there. I consider us some of the lucky ones since we are at a pretty good spot and can help each other through tough times.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:47 AM

The Job situation in Michigan is terrible. I have been laid of for 13 months and there is nothing available anywhere! We have one of the highest unemployment numbers in the country.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:52 AM

My dad was laid off over 2 yrs ago, he turns 65 this coming march. He's had about 5 job offers in 2 years. Every week he beats the pavement looking for employment with no luck. I'm currently out of work also, saw an ad in the paper feeding baby cows, gonna look into that...honey says if I get it I'm not allowed int he house till I strip on the back porch...hum....I think he wants me to get the job!
Old 09-08-2010, 04:10 AM
Power Poster

Bad here too, in Southern Wisconsin. My nearest city, Janesville, had a GM plant that shut down a few years back. All the smaller factories made parts, ect, for them, so they all shut down too.
I come from a construction family, and my Dad can retire, but he employs both of my brothers, and we are all so worried, there are just no jobs here. The resturaunts are shuting down even......worked in one for 9 years, and he just shut the doors with no warning. Now I make minimum wage part time, but I am THANKFUL that I at least have a job!
Old 09-08-2010, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
TG I still have my job but I have friends and relatives who've been downsized and can't find another.
There doesn't seem to be anything available.
One man I know (in his 50s and been out of work for 2 years) applied at a fast food place and they wouldn't hire him either. Said he wouldn't fit in with the teenagers. (It's not the fast food you're probably thinking of).

Are there jobs where you are?
It is much the same here too, especially if you are over 45 yrs. It must be a huge worry especially if they are still paying mortgages(loans for their houses) and perhaps still have a young family at home. I am retired and thankfully my children are okay just now. I feel for any of you who are in this situation.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:21 AM

Even in a good economy there's not a lot of jobs here.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:22 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

The job situation here isn't any better. Hubby hates his job but knows there isn't anything available so he keeps trudging along.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:29 AM

It is always bad here - not too many businesses. DH and I are retired - living on a fixed income and really have to watch the "extras" in life. The nicer restaurants in the next larger town are hurting badly. ...... sure don't like what is happening to everyone..
Old 09-08-2010, 04:35 AM

Terrible! I have been out of work for 20 months. Denver is having a huge Job Fair tomorrow they are expecting over 3,000 people. Most of the jobs available are either very specialized technical positions or very low paying cleaning jobs. There isn't much in the middle. Many homes are in foreclosure and there are a lot of empty commercial properties. I know it isn't as bad as some areas of the country but it is still hard for a lot of us.