What is This?!?

Old 04-19-2011, 05:39 PM

Nope...it's a torture devise!
Hang me....and let's find out what it really is, the suspense is getting to me! LOL
Old 04-19-2011, 06:34 PM

I have one it is for turning things like spaghetti straps for dresses, I've used it plenty. The hook grabs the fabric at the top ridgr and the hook stays up and you don't catch your hook and it pulls through smoothly.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:46 PM

Not a button hook, I have some of those and that is not what it looks like. Not a latch hook cause they don't have the extra spring thing on it. Not a knitting machine needle (I have one) because that wouldn't have a handle or that spring on it, and it would have to have a raised part to catch the carriage. I think it might have been used like a crochet hook, someone once gave me a device, more modern than that one looks that you could use like a crochet hook and it had a plastic part half way down that controlled how much yarn you would pull by controlling how far you were able to go into the stitch.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by miss_ticky2
I'm thinking for dropped stitches also. I had similar tools for my knitting machine years ago
I think it could be a knitting machine hook, that would explain the spring on it.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by firebird
My grandmother used one of these to repair runs in nylon stockings during WWII. She was paid quite well as nylons were expensive. I remember watching my mother use it as well to do the same. We have sure gotten spoiled with pantyhose being so inexpensive to buy. Wish I had my mother's tool, just for memories.
This reply is terribly late, but I really got behind while I was ill this spring.

I, too, remember the days when we had our precious nylon stockings mended during WWII. (If you didn't mend the nylon, you soon were wearing rayon, and those were UGLY!!) We took them to JCPenney's where they had several girls doing the mending. They would stretch the run in the stocking over a small glass like a cream cheese glass, and were very fast at their work, moving the hook rapidly up and down to catch the stitches. Quite an art! And it really was appreciated during the war.