Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is it?

Smile What is it?

I got an email from a friend asking if I could help her i.d. a device, so naturally the QB was the first place I thought of!! am attaching the two pics she sent me, she's wondering what it is and once i.d.'d, is it complete? I don't have a clue and hope someone here can help!!! Thanks much!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Blog Entries
    I don't think it's complete, as the two metal end rollers were designed to fit into some type of holder. Is the rectangular piece a magnet?

My best guess currently is that it was used to quickly measure a distance to shorten something -- draperies, skirts, jeans.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    My best guess currently is that it was used to quickly measure a distance to shorten something -- draperies, skirts, jeans.
    that was my first thought as well
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

It's from a typewriter. You flipped it up and it held the paper upright as you typed so you could read the page. I'm not sure what the lines measured.

Blog Entries
    For the typewriter, I bet it measured how much of the page was used so that you would know when to quit typing and move on to the next page.

Oh, my! To think that typewriters are obsolete........

But those of us that learned to type sure can appreciate the new key boards and how easy it is to type on them. My fingers could never use one of those old typewriters they no longer have the strength needed to push the key down.

Power Poster
    I miss my typewriter - for some things the 'old' versions work better than the new -

two things I miss it for: addressing envelopes
    making the labels for hanging folders

i will keep watching this thread. i want to know what it is also. i have no clue..
    ​debra

Can also be from a printer. The numbers were for spacing lines if I recall correctly. They also helped you make sure the paper was in straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollytink View Post
    I got an email from a friend asking if I could help her i.d. a device, so naturally the QB was the first place I thought of!! am attaching the two pics she sent me, she's wondering what it is and once i.d.'d, is it complete? I don't have a clue and hope someone here can help!!! Thanks much!!
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot automated quilter
    http://www.Lmcampbel.com

Also...we used it to type labels and post cards, etc...again, helped keep the card in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollytink View Post
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot automated quilter
    http://www.Lmcampbel.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast