Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What to Use to Remove "Browning" from Old Lace >

What to Use to Remove "Browning" from Old Lace

What to Use to Remove "Browning" from Old Lace

Old 07-09-2016, 04:35 AM
Power Poster

I bought a small package of this product online at Walmart but haven't had a chance to try it out.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:55 AM

placing the lace on green grass in bright sunshine. It worked on my grandmothers bedspread that is crochet. Good luck
Old 07-09-2016, 06:00 AM

Think outside the box. If you really love the lace, a way to display it would be to arrange the lace on the top of a coffee table and put a piece of glass over the top. I purchased a large, distressed coffee table and two end tables about 10 years ago and ordered glass tops with beveled edges for all three. It looked super nice and I got a lot of compliments on them. I think the glass cost $75 for the end tables and $110 for the coffee table. I have seen black and white family photos displayed this way and it is visually pleasing and interesting.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

If you use this method make sure you have it pinned in place. I have used this method and a container so the doily/lace piece can lay flat. Don't pin into the threads just between the threads so it doesn't shrink.
Originally Posted by Ellageo View Post
Oxiclean with the hottest water you can get, works for me.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:29 AM

Remember sometimes it's the agitation that cause damage not the product. I would start with a soak in Dawn dish washing liquid with just a up and down motion to wash and rinse, roll up in a towel to remove as much water as possible.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:48 AM

Cindy Needham's advice is top notch and works wonderfully well. I ruined some precious lace with some of those other things before I wised up and consulted Cindy's website.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:01 AM

I use Stain Solver for tough stains but haven't tried it on lace.

My mom took old doiles and put them in frames with other fabrics (mostly velvets) as backing. They made very cute pictures. She did that with old evening purses, too. I still have one hanging in my powder room.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:32 AM

MIL and I used 20-Mule Team Borax (Borateam) to clean brown out of hand crocheted table cloth she inherited from her MIL. We soaked overnight, rinsed, soaked again with clean mix, I think 3 times total. Came out beautifully removing about 75 years of dry cleaning solvent and cigarette smoke. Thread was originally a light ivory and by the time we were done it was back to it's original color. I see Borateam is still sold in WalMart.

added: We did all the cleaning in the bath tub, not in the washer, but when finished we dried on the no-heat setting of the electric dryer until almost dry, then laid on plastic on the floor to finish blocking and drying.

Last edited by ShirlinAZ; 07-09-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:23 AM
Suz

I respect (and envy) the work that Cindy Needham does and inclined to go her route. I have some Orvus on hand and will try a few pieces in a soak. And I will go to Cindy's site and see if I can find a resource for the Tartan that has been suggested. Thanks all of you for your suggestions.

(Incidentally, my coffee table is nothing but an old painted wash bench. Under glass is out of the question but a lovely idea.)
Old 07-09-2016, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I have heard that Retro Clean is the product you want for antique and vintage fabrics.
Used it and it works well. I was able to reuse the water with the product in it to clean several antique quilts. That's not recommended, but hey! It was worth the try. This product that is worth the money. There was no damage to the quilts. Some were stitched in the late 1930's.