Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What will keep neighbors cats from using bathroom in your flower pots >

What will keep neighbors cats from using bathroom in your flower pots

What will keep neighbors cats from using bathroom in your flower pots

Old 02-07-2011, 05:01 AM

I had a friend who put a mouse trap in her flower pots. Cats did not come back.They make commercial products to keep cats and dogs away. Just a little sprinkled on top the dirt and they won't come back.You would have to be careful but maybe a capful of ammonia in an old bottle lid.Keeps them out of the garbage.Good luck.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:25 AM

Plastic forks with the fork part pointing up
Old 02-07-2011, 05:29 AM

Just 2 thoughts - how long does it take for the mods to move this topic to GCC?
Second, I used to have a cat that liked to go in the veg. garden. Had a 2 story house, if I was at the door or on the porch when I shooed him away, he would "git". But if I was at a 2nd floor window, I could yell all I wanted and he would look at me like, "well what are you going to do about it?" He was a smart cat.

Originally Posted by D'Marie
I had a friend who put a mouse trap in her flower pots. Cats did not come back.They make commercial products to keep cats and dogs away. Just a little sprinkled on top the dirt and they won't come back.You would have to be careful but maybe a capful of ammonia in an old bottle lid.Keeps them out of the garbage.Good luck.
Mouse traps are not good...that's cruel. I could never hurt an animal no matter how annoying they are. I think the neighbor should have a little more respect than allow their animals to cause problems by letting them run loose. That's just my opinion.

ONLY THING WE'VE FOUND IS WRAPPING TIN FOIL AROUND THE TOP EDGE OF THE POTS.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by BMP
I hate to tell this but we have neighbors that have numerous cats and they destroyed our flower beds, porch furniture cusions, in our garage on our cars when the door was open. We spoke to the cat owners many times and it did no good. DH bought a live trap and when he caught one we would take it to the SPCA and they would contact the owner and they would pay a fine and get the cat back. A few times of doing this they got the message.
There will always be irresponsible pet owners. The live trap idea is the best one so far...make them pay a fine. This way the animal is not being injured.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Georgie Harriott
Neighbors cats use my flower pots for their bathroom. What can I put in them so they won"t go in my flower pots? I tried black pepper but that didn't work. Any more suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Georgie
my mother always used a rubber snake...down side is it always scared my GM when she'd walk on the porch :thumbdown:
Old 02-07-2011, 06:07 AM

It doesn't bother me, I have cats in the house and feed the ones outside, I never have mice. I heard a noise at the door the other day and when I looked out one of the cats had just caught a mouse and was walking off with her prize, I will continue feeding them. Also, the birds keep the cat dish empty, when the bird feeder runs out, who knew!! LOL
Old 02-07-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by costumegirl
Remember, some cats are pets and they may be someone’s best friend - harming them would be cruel.
If they are your pet than they should be inside and not messing up other people's property. I do not let my animals roam the neighborhood and do damage to anyone else's property and they should have the same respect. We have a neighbor who has numerous cats that just keep reproducing and they run the neighborhood. We end up with scratches on the car hoods in the winter because of the heat from the engine. I also find it aggravating that I have to worry about whether or not my young daughter will be helping me in the garden and get sick because cats carry some nasty diseases (and yes she wears gloves but who knows).

I think ultimately it comes down to the owner of the animal being responsible for their pet. If talking to the owner doesn't work than I agree with trapping the animal and taking it to the SPCA.

Hugs
April
Old 02-07-2011, 06:42 AM

Depending on how big your pots are you can put pine cones in them. Cat's don't like to walk on them.