What is YOUR take on this?

Old 01-05-2013, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Grandma Peg View Post
Know what you mean but sometimes watch those just to see how they remodel. Wish I could have some of that money to remodel. What they spend in one room could do my whole house.
There is a big difference in remodeling and redecorating. Remodeling means you move walls, add walls, make structural differences. That costs lots of money no matter where you live. It involves changing plumbing and electrical and getting approval and inspections, etc. Redecorating means new flooring, carpet, paint, cabinets, furniture, appliances, bathroom fixtures. That's cheap by comparison. The two terms aren't interchangable. That's like confusing a ceiling with a roof.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:33 PM

I saw that episode, and was so surprised at their reaction to the bed quilt. I know they are trying to "stage" the home so it sells quickly, but their quilt comments were not warranted. I had to laugh thinking what would be their reaction if they came to my house - quilts on the walls, on the furniture, on the beds.....
Old 01-05-2013, 05:36 PM

I too watched that particular show.. I am usually amazed at the way those two brothers can transform a very ugly place into something fabulous.. BUT, that show just proves that young men don't know everything, even if they think they do!! We are just one week into our new home (built after the tornado in Joplin, mo.) and we have beautiful OAK cabinets.. and the one room we carpeted, is a lovely, blending brown/gold color.. Plus I have quilts in every room one way or another.. and it's a beautiful home. What I couldn't believe was that silly woman gave the quilt her mother had made for her to those guys!! I'd skin her if she were mine, then I'd go cry. Now I'm headed to Facebook to find them and tell them what I thought of that show!
Old 01-05-2013, 05:41 PM

If they don't like the way I've done my house, they can stay away--as well as anyone else who comes to visit my house, instead of me! I am currently removing carpet and replacing it with laminate. I have allergies and dogs--enough said. I painted my dining room the color of the sea--because I like it. I have a red bathroom, a bright yellow bathroom, and a green bathroom--because I like them. My living room is painted "Granny Smith Apple". It's bright and happy, and I like it! I have used tin ceiling tiles to cover the sheetrock in my kitchen--I like it. I think people on those shows need to stay away from my house. LOL!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:22 PM

I like watching that show....but.... Those brothers had better not come to my home. It is filled with oak cupboards, recessed lighting, and polished brass light fixtures. I LOVE IT! It is a warm and comfy place where many young people come and sit on my beige carpet.
The have to dodge the quilts on the walls and hanging on the stair rail. So far, no one has complained.

Guess "Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder."

All are welcome to my home. They can make themselves comfortable and do not have to feel that the house is sterile.

I bet if they came over and needed to spend the night, that they wouldn't mind crawling under some of those quilts on a cold winter's night.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
"A fool and their money are soon parted." I am frugal and save my money for more quilting stuff not redecorating. My husband asked me a few years ago if I wanted a total kitchen redo and I sad, nope. I live in a 1950 house with a 1950 kitchen and it suits me just fine. A new coat of paint and I am a happy camper. There is great joy in being content with what you have.
I agree completly, joy and contentment do go well together, you put it very nicely.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:12 PM

I live in a house that is about 120 years "young" although windows and doors have been replaced and updates made to it. I have what they call, I think, "carpenters cabinets." They are just plain straight cabinets. They are built like a brick house. You can't move any of the shelves but they don't bow at all. It is filled with things I bought in high school, family items, antiques and cherished things. It isn't Better Homes and Garden but rather cozy and inviting. I don't care what color is "in", I don't care about styles changing, I want it to be homey. Don't watch that show as we only have regular TV but I like to look at new ideas but not changes my house with the fads. It's just a way to get people to spend money. I have quilts, afghans, counted cross stitch and many handmade things and it pleases me. It's mine, all bought and paid for and I like it.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:29 PM

I often watch their show and watched one just last night. So little on TV that I will even sit through. Really enjoy seeing the international househunters because I have traveled so little and enjoy seeing how homes and furnishings differ in other locales.
It's interesting to see how the houses change as they replace walls, cabinets, etc. Would love to be able to rip out ugly tiling in my bathrooms that I picked out almost 40 years ago. HA But it's a blessing to be retired and not owe anything on a house, etc. We only update as things quit or wear out. As a final thought, I often liked the house before they did the renovations esp. if it is turned into a sea of beige and the unique features of say an arts and crafts type home are destroyed. I'm sitting saying NO I want that mantle or gorgeous turned wood or stone fireplace that is painted white.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:41 AM

Well, this reminds me of the "What not to wear" shows where they go in and throw out all your clothes. If they did that to me THEY would get thrown out on their ears. I like my clothes and my house. I guess there will always be some people who want to be told what to wear and how to decorate their house. I'm not one of them, I have my own mind.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
Well I had watched and enjoyed some of their shows in the past. However I just went to their facebook page and told them that they have ticked off thousands of quilters. And I don't even normally do facebook - in fact was surprised when I got there.
Good! I didn't think to look on FB for their page. I saw that episode...couldn't believe what I saw, ie no one wanting the quilt....so sad....and maddening!!!