Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What's the best time for your kids to do homework? >

What's the best time for your kids to do homework?

What's the best time for your kids to do homework?

Old 09-05-2013, 12:02 AM

Default What's the best time for your kids to do homework?

My youngest grandson who is 7 comes to our house every Wednesday and Friday afternoon until Sunday morning. On Wednesday he has homework and I try to tell my son to have Andrew do it by 7:00 pm, any later than that and he gets very cranky. Just wondering when you have your kids do their homework. To be honest I wish he would do it between four and five.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:53 AM

I like to give them an hour "down time" right after school to eat a snack, play, rest since they've been in school all day. I figure it's the way I (and every adult I know) like to be treated ("please don't make me think or work the minute I walk in the door"). At age 7, I would try to have my guy do it after such a break and before 6. Hopefully at his age he doesn't have more than 15 minutes of HW anyway.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:16 AM

I would have mine do it while I was getting things ready for supper. That way if they had any questions I could be right there to help
Old 09-05-2013, 02:30 AM
Power Poster

Does he ride the bus home and how long a ride does he have? Can't do it on the bus. At 7 years old how much does he have? depending on all those equations and when he gets out of school, bus ride. Most kids need snack. Some actually need a nap. When does he have to get up in the morning to get ready for school. My kids at that age had to be in bed by 8:30. All depends on the poor boys schedule. My kids had 30 minutes -60 for downtime, to change clothes and relax. Even if it was close to supper they got to have a snack (cheese, piece of fruit). No candy or soda. Schedule matters.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:10 AM

At 7 if he has more than 15 minutes of homework there needs to be a parent teacher meeting.

I would think spelling words and simple math problems would be about it.

I always let mine play as soon as they got home and do their homework at kitchen table while fixing supper - same as mic-pa.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:45 AM

Because of my sons ADHD he does it right after school. Any later and his medicine has worn off to much and it becomes to hard for him to focus. It also helps to get it done early so he can relax a little before his hockey practice or games. He is in 5th grade and usually has about 30 - 45 minutes of homework. He has a snack while he is working on it too.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:47 AM

My kids did their homework as soon as they got home. They could have snacks and chat, but the work was there to be done. We were all happier getting it out of the way, and they had some play time before dinner.

Now, in their final years of high school, they are completely responsible for their own schedule, and they do very well in school.

I always felt that playing for awhile then coming back to homework caused them to lose their momentum. I know it would for me. I'd always rather get the hard part over so I can relax.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:00 AM

When my kids in school, homework was to be done after they changed clothes and had a small snack. Then I would grab some sort of hand sewing and sit at the kitchen table with them. This was our visiting time before everyone sat down at dinner which was mandatory. This continued even into high school with all of them.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:10 AM

I did my homework as soon as I had a crust of bread spread with butter and a drink and changed clothes. I was a swot and enjoyed homework.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:52 PM

Yep, I totally agree, zozee! Hockeymom, my 12 yr old grandson has ADHD also, but the break does him good. He is improving with age.