Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wheat bread

I cant find a reciepe that I just love, anyone have one? The one at the store that I normally buy is $4 a loaf. I can make alot of bread for that.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    I cant find a reciepe that I just love, anyone have one? The one at the store that I normally buy is $4 a loaf. I can make alot of bread for that.

Thanks
    I would love to have a good recipe for wheat bread also.

Blog Entries
    You mean whole wheat? With the germ and all? I used to do this when all the family was at home, and had to put in some white flour to make it rise more. It was still rather heavy but delicious.
    We had a wheat grinder and bought big cans of it from some friends from Utah. It was fresh and delicious. Sometimes I would soak it overnight, then blend it and use less liquid in it.

Turned out very, very good fresh and hot with butter. Had to make several loaves so as to have enough for dinner.

Blog Entries
    Try adding 1 1/2T of wheat gluten for each loaf... it helps make the wheat bread rise more, not so dense then. AND the gluten is good for you too :D:D:D

do you need the recipe for a bread machine or are you gonna make it from scratch? two different things.
    i've made bread machine bread for such a long time [whole wheat, of course] that i don't know how to make regular bread anymore. everybody loves my bread and i've given the recipe out numerous times.
    amma is right, about the gluten. i've also added a little soy or flax flour to the mix

There's a great one here: http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/deliciouswwbread.htm, it's the one I use every time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    You mean whole wheat? With the germ and all? I used to do this when all the family was at home, and had to put in some white flour to make it rise more. It was still rather heavy but delicious.
    We had a wheat grinder and bought big cans of it from some friends from Utah. It was fresh and delicious. Sometimes I would soak it overnight, then blend it and use less liquid in it.

Turned out very, very good fresh and hot with butter. Had to make several loaves so as to have enough for dinner.
    LOL...No I buy my flour, I'm not that thrifty.

Quote Originally Posted by akgranny
    do you need the recipe for a bread machine or are you gonna make it from scratch? two different things.
    i've made bread machine bread for such a long time [whole wheat, of course] that i don't know how to make regular bread anymore. everybody loves my bread and i've given the recipe out numerous times.
    amma is right, about the gluten. i've also added a little soy or flax flour to the mix
    nope no bread machine, I've tried the gluten in my reciepe and I wasnt impressed either. the bread I made tonight was OK. It called for two pans, I ended up with 2 loaves about 4inches tall. I told dh its finger food bread because we need to watch our weight.

Quote Originally Posted by yesterdayssorrows
    There's a great one here: http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/deliciouswwbread.htm, it's the one I use every time now.
    That link didnt work but I found the site anyway. Boomarked to give her bread a try. Thanks

Super Member Chigger Holler Quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    Quote Originally Posted by yesterdayssorrows
    That link didnt work but I found the site anyway. Boomarked to give her bread a try. Thanks
    Where did you find it? Could you please post a link? Always love a good bread recipe. I have one I'll have to try to remember to send to you as well! Happy Baking! Oh, BTW...the homemade bread is ever so much better...I just can't keep it around long enough so I'm not so sure it is cheaper! LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast