Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Where id my hummers go?!

Blog Entries

Where id my hummers go?!

Suddenly 3 days ago hummingbirds stopped coming to my feeders!! They have been very busy this year, even through the winter when I even had to unfreeze the nectar.

Would think that migration was earlier than this from SW Washington if they were going somewhere. They are usually visiting all day long till after dark!

Any ideas, bird lovers? I miss them!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Check the feeders for bugs/debris. Mine will stop visiting the feeders if ants or bees get into them and foul the nectar.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Mom. No problem there! Have ant baffles and wash almost daily. Haven't seen them around on the roses and bushes either just these last few days!

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    Check the feeders for bugs/debris. Mine will stop visiting the feeders if ants or bees get into them and foul the nectar.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Is there any chance that your "feed" has gone bad?

Kind of like when sewing and changing out the bobbin and re-threading ... perhaps start fresh by washing your feeders and a new batch of nectar.

Here's hoping yours come back real soon ... maybe they're just on a little holiday!
    I've had quite a few this year ... and guess what? I do not feed ... they must like my hanging basket and planters!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had to take mine down as bee's were swarming around it so bad even with the bee guards. I still see them around my flowers but not as much as I am used to.

Blog Entries
    I do too! I use little feeders and have to fill them every day! I use sugar/water that I make (they seem to prefer it) and keep any extra in the fridge. Thanks, tho!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Is there any chance that your "feed" has gone bad?

Kind of like when sewing and changing out the bobbin and re-threading ... perhaps start fresh by washing your feeders and a new batch of nectar.

Here's hoping yours come back real soon ... maybe they're just on a little holiday!
    I've had quite a few this year ... and guess what? I do not feed ... they must like my hanging basket and planters!

Kitsie

Power Poster
    Maybe the freaky weather patterns have effected their range?

Blog Entries
    Our weather hasn't been a problem - and to go from 3 very active feeders (they used to sit in the trees above while I filled them) to nada!!?? weird!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Maybe the freaky weather patterns have effected their range?

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    I filled my oriole and hummingbird feeders a while back (maybe 2 weeks) and haven't seen either bird since! Today, the purple finches are at the oriole feeder like crazy. Don't know where the hummers went.

Guess I will take down all feeders, wash and refill them and see what happens. I miss my little friends!
    Sue

Baby woodpeckers get on my hummingbird feeders and drain all the nectar out. I only buy the red nectar that has vitamins and minerals in it. My hummers are still around and come to the feeder to find it all gone. They do get on the honeysuckle vine. The bees will show up later and run both off. The hummers may be nesting in your area.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast