Where to put sewing room

Old 06-16-2011, 09:29 PM

Currently I have my stuff everywhere! Most is in spare bedrm but that is also used for folks and grandkids sleepovers. I have my sew mach set up on the kit brkfst bar-which is handy but also very interruptive of daily life. I have a chance to move it to two places. One is in the basement. There is a fam rm and a bdrm (seldom used with kids gone). The back qtr is only used for canned goods and holiday storage. I would have an area of 15x30. It has one basement window plus lights and a dehumidifier. The other is (was)a kennel bldg that is 16x26. It has 3 windows. The problem with it is that the concrete floor gets wet -we would have to install heating but what to do in summer? I don't want fabric smelling musty and we wouldn't want to have heat on. I don't think a dehumidifier would be enough. Either way, I think I would feel lonely -that's why I brought the machine out of the spare bdrm. They are great sized areas but away from everyone. I like being at the brkfst bar but I agree it is something that can't stay permanent. What to do?
Old 06-16-2011, 09:54 PM

basement--any heating you need will go up into the house[less guilt!!]
Old 06-16-2011, 10:01 PM

I would go for the basement. At least you would hear people walking around upstairs and know that you are not alone. If you add some comfy chairs and a Tv, your hubby would probably come join you while you sew in the evenings.

Is there a way you could carve out a corner in your living room? Try some furniture rearranging to see if you can fit your sewing in behind a couple chairs, the sofa, or an entertainment center. I used to sew in the LR out of necessity and I actually enjoyed it. My family was always watching over my shoulder and showering me with compliments, LOL!
Old 06-16-2011, 10:05 PM

Of the two, as is, I'd go for the Family Room If its not used on a regular bases. you could still keep the ex bedroom for guest or use it for one giant fabric storage closet, shelves on all the walls and a couple down the middle LOL But if you felt lonley in the spair bedroom on the main floor and moved into the breakfast room your are going to feel lonley in the basement to. Remember it is also out of the main living area. Could you talk DH into moving his favorite chair and TV into the new sewing room to keep you company?
Old 06-17-2011, 01:11 AM

I have moved some of my stuff to the basement. But at least I have a TV there for background noise. I do need more light. But I like that the mess is out of sight and I can just close the door and leave it.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:50 AM

Do you have an "office" you can reclaim? Mine is split down the middle. My work/bills and other non-sense on one side. My fun stuff on the other.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:39 AM

Y not do both? Make the basent ur main sewing room. Organize all ur fabric and supplies. Then make a small spot in lr where u can set up sewing machine. I use spare room for sewingroom/ guestroom. I'm trying to organize it so the airbeds not so cramped!! But also use small diningroo
M table in LR So I can cut, iron ect in evening w dh.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:44 AM

I vote basement. That's where Girl Cave is. Funny thing, when I'm down there all my boys (9, 10, DH and dog) find their way down to visit and chat. I think both boys like being able to come down and have "private chat time" with Mom! Plus, while I admit to being a relatively neat quilter, it's nice to be able to turn off the tv and sewing machine, shut off the lights and walk away!
Old 06-17-2011, 05:09 AM

go for the guest room, put guests in the basement...
Old 06-17-2011, 07:54 AM

I put mine it the basement. I really like that my stuff is away from everything else. DH put his "man cave" in the other room down there. We spend a lot of time down there.
He is not in my room but is nearby and I put a comfy rocker in there and he comes to visit. :)