Who Has Food Allergies?

Old 03-06-2011, 05:44 PM

I am allergic to wheat oats barley and rye. I am celiac.
I have a friend who has gone through a terrible time with rashes and she knew she was allergic to fish and corn and wheat. She just found out she is allergic to yeast.
I hope you find out the source of your reaction. If you call the maker of the cake they should tell you what the ingredients were so that you can track it down.
Good luck.

Rita
Old 03-06-2011, 05:53 PM

Celiac was my first thought. I am celiac - all wheat, rye and barley with some oats are a big no. Some oats is okay if it isn't processed in a factory that also does wheat. I am also allergic to yeast and sulfites, so life can get interesting.

Herpetiformis Dermatitis has a intense skin rash -- another autoimmune disease that celiacs are prone to. The hives and itching are miserable. You need to see a doctor. It can be skin this time and throat next time. It's important to know what to avoid.

Chicken is breaded with wheat, which is also the main ingredient in your cake.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:58 PM

Thanks everyone. I thought that I was the only one who was allergic to oatmeal because the DRs always tell me they have never hear of that. This reaction scard me. I have never broke out this bad. It looked like white welts all over my body the size of quarters. It even covered my face and my hands were so swollen I couldn't bend them. The antihistimine is working now. The itching has stoped. I think I will see my DR about this.

We read the ingredients listed on the cake. No oatmeal was listed.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:06 PM

I have so many food allergies I can't keep count and my DH does a better job than I do. One problem is that they change on me. One time I can eat something and the next time not if I haven't eaten it in a long while. I have all types of reactions and some even cause me to have to use my oxygen. Then there are the ones that swell my tongue and throat. I try to do the rotation and elimination diets. Most of the time I don't have enough foods to eat so that I can stay on the rotation diet. Some of the foods I am not actually allergic to, I can't digest like any type of grain and meats.

I hope you are able to avoid the red dye and anything else that cause reactions. The results are not fun and some are very dangerous.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:41 PM

Just out of curiosity, what was listed?
Old 03-06-2011, 06:53 PM

I have issues with dairy and red food coloring. My DS has issues with dairy, gluten, nitrites/nitrates, red and blue food coloring, and antibiotics and hormones given to chickens. He needs all natural, organic eggs and chicken. I am pretty sure he reacts to many preservatives, too. We are still trying to narrow everything down.

A lot of people react to the artificial food dyes. Search them on google and you can find a lot of info. In fact, many of the dyes we still see in the US have been banned in Europe. You can read more here:

http://www.organicauthority.com/blog...thority.com%29

I hope your hives clear up soon and you find the root of your problem with the cake! Food reactions are no fun at all (and sometimes dangerous).
Old 03-06-2011, 07:56 PM

Food allergies: nuts, wheat, and corn...

I forever have hives that break out on me at work. My office is real close to the lunch room...and just the smell from some of their food makes me break out. When they use to serve nuts on airplanes, I had to go hide in the bathroom with a pillow over my face just so I didn't ingest the smell.

Definitely need to have an allergy test done so you know what tolerance you have to certain foods.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Power Poster

I havea lactose intolerence, so Inevereat icecream or pizza, tow of my favorite things. Even with the pills, icecream just hurtsmy stomach SO bad!
Old 03-06-2011, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
I have an allergy to mangoes.
Now that's interesting. When my dad first introduced me to mangoes (I was a teen), he would only let me try so much. He said many people had a mangoes allergy. I don't have any food allergies (only allergy is dust, but it's no joke), but he insisted that even people with no food allergies were often allergic to mangoes. Well, I wasn't, and frankly, up till now, no one else has ever told me they were.