who knew???

Old 11-01-2012, 07:33 AM

Reminds me of the female cat DD found in the aftermath of Hurricane Hugo in Boston 20+ years ago. She didn't mind being named Hugo. Great cat - we all miss her. She would climb a tree and jump to the 3rd floor balcony outside DD's apartment - and sit on the window sill until someone let her in.She never did anything the easy way. Must have had something to do with being lost in a hurricane.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
We had an older tabby come to our house and adopt us. We had "her" vetted, & told that she'd most likely been fixed (by a young vet) Next time we took 'her' in for her annual shots, a lady vet came in..mentioned we had a handsome lad. WHAT???!!! She looked, said "uh huh". Orange tabbies are ALMOST ALWAYS males. Had never heard that before, but it might be a clue when cat shopping.
Interesting. Hugo, the FEmale cat my DH found in Boston was an orange tabby.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
oh you mentioned orange tabbys. I miss ours. we had him for 17 yrs. Loki was his name and we certainly knew he was a him! this pic was taken about 1 month before we lost him.
nativetexan, that was one huge cat, or else a cute little Santa. Loki looks quite content in Santa's lap, too. Mine would be shredding the red suit.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:34 PM

We had an orange tabby girl, too. She was our last cat. One thing that does prove gender is that all calico cats are female. They have white, black, brown spots. Funny that two people mention a vet getting the gender wrong. What if you asked them to neuter a kitty? Enjoyed this string.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:54 PM

Several years ago I was given an older cat whose elderly owner had died. He was a neutered male unfortunately named Kitty. When I took him to my vet for a checkup, he kept referring to Kitty as "she". When I told the vet's receptionist (who is also his wife) that I was sure Kitty was a boy, she said "He is a boy. My husband (the vet!) calls all cats "she" and all dogs "he"!" We laughed about it and teased him for years!
Old 11-02-2012, 04:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
oh you mentioned orange tabbys. I miss ours. we had him for 17 yrs. Loki was his name and we certainly knew he was a him! this pic was taken about 1 month before we lost him.
Boy what a big boy! He's as big as my Daisy!
Old 11-02-2012, 04:48 AM

After reading all these posts, I don't feel as stupid now because half the time I can't tell for sure if they are male or female... Most of the tame ones, I get right, but the feral ones don't take kindly me sneaking up behind them and trying to lifting their tails while they are eating!
Old 11-02-2012, 07:15 PM

[I have a friend who adopted a cute little female kitten. She is solid white, so they named her snowball. When they took her to the vet to have her spayed, they discovered she is a boy. His name is now snowball-less.]

That's so funny. ROFLMAO. The kitty pictures on this post are as beautiful as the pictures of quilts in other post.