Who Likes Canning?

Old 07-10-2012, 05:31 AM

I love making bread and butter pickles and I cut the corn off the cob to use in soups during the winter. I don't have much room for much else but I would love to do some tomatoes, squash and okra. Just need to get to farmers market soon.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:32 AM

I can green beans and freeze zucchini, green tomatoes, and corn. This year I want to freeze broccoli and cauliflower. Has anyone done this and if so can you tell me how, please?

Krystyna how do you can stuff from the freezer?
Old 07-10-2012, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
I hadn't planned on doing this today but I'm canning green beans. I sent my husband to pick peaches and blackberries yesterday and he came home with blackberries, peaches, and green beans. He wanted me to cook up a large batch to keep in the refrig. However, my daughter and two grandsons are living with and now, and there is no way it would fit in the refrig, so I'm canning. I enjoy it but it makes me nervous with the little ones around. When my kids were little I did it before they got up or after they went to bed. I'm too tired at night to do it once the kids go to bed now! Our garden is producing but it's not ready to pick. I'm freezing the blackberries and peaches.
I did a lot of canning in my day. I make dill beans in a hot water bath (pickled beans), but you have to pressure can the beans otherwise. The only stuff I hot water bathed were fruit, pickles, jellies and jams. You have to be so careful when you can vegetables. Oh, you can hot water bath tomatoes, Iknew that, just forgot!!!!!!! I have got four bags of frozen black raspberries that I am going to make jelly with and hot water bath. I have registered for the Minnesota State Fair to enter them, so when it cools down a bit I am going to get some new 1/2 pt jars and go to work. Have fun! Edie
Old 07-10-2012, 05:51 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

its a family thing around our place .. Love to do it !
Old 07-10-2012, 05:52 AM

I just got home from a visit to my fav aunt in IN. She cans her own beef in pint jars using the pressure canner. We had beef and home made noodles for dinner one night. YUMMY.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I can tomatoes. I freeze green beans, green peppers, and jalapeno peppers.
Please, how do you prepare & freeze green beans. I tried to freeze some and they are delicious but soft as noodles when cooked.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

Southern cooking demands green beans cooked until soft in ham broth, with new potatoes thrown in. A big cast iron skillet of cornbread, baked ham, ice sweet tea, with peach cobbler for dessert. So good!!
Old 07-10-2012, 10:13 AM

I have a smooth top stove and I use my waterless cookware to do cold packing and my pressure cooker works very well on the hot burner in the back. Mine has a dark finish so it stays looking nice as well. I like to can green beans, and all kinds of dry beans to make preparing a meal faster. I make mustard pickle relish out of green tomatoes. I like to make my own salsa out of peppers and tomatoes from the garden. My husband has decided this year that he doesn't want a garden, so we are resting this year. I will miss these items, because I have recipes that I use them in. I am hoping he will want to do a garden next year.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:50 PM

I used to come home from work around 530 fix supper then start canning til 1or so go to bed and get up at 6 and start all over again. I didn't like to can then but now when I can't can as much as I did, I love it. Just wish I was able to do more than I can.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:13 PM

I began canning jams a few years ago apple pear, pineapple apricot and apple butter and usually make them as low in sugar as I can.

Anyone have a good hot pepper jam? I would love to make some for 2 of my BILs who love hot stuff.