who remember clotheslines?

Old 05-14-2009, 06:11 AM

Yea, I guess so, Izy.
I used to have a wooden rack that I would hang things on. Would set it up in my kitchen. I bought it at a yard sale for like $5 when we first got married. Didn't have a dryer at the time, only a washer. My dad came and strung a line for me...was REALLY long too! Then I went into the woods and found a tree for a pole. Was a great line. Once winter came, I only hung the sheets out. Then dad found us a great deal on a dryer. It was FREE! lol But, I had an indoor dryer vent, so we would use that to help heat the house.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:31 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Izy
we had to dosh the dirty nappy down the loo while flushing.. keeping a tight grip so it didn't go round the bend, then staight into a bucket of Napisan.
You've got a bit of a theme developping today, mia amiga del campo! :D :wink:

K x
Old 05-14-2009, 06:41 AM

I used cloth diapers for the oldest, but I also had a diaper service. Neighbors gave me a certificate for 3 months of service. Was nice! No washing them! lol But, after the service was over....yep, slosh, slosh, flush, flush! lol
Old 05-14-2009, 09:49 AM

Izy... My son was 2lb 3oz at birth, came home when he was 3months old weighing 5lbs!! and I used the 'Kite' version for him...

we started something now!!!! :lol:
Old 05-14-2009, 10:02 AM

Does anyone remember starching certain clothing(skirts, shirtcollars etc)? Also when bluing was put inthe last rinse water? Dating myself, but that's o.k.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Izy

Originally Posted by elliemay
Izy... My son was 2lb 3oz at birth, came home when he was 3months old weighing 5lbs!! and I used the 'Kite' version for him...

we started something now!!!! :lol:
Oh how tiny is that, well have to say my very first born was only 1lb 6oz but sadly she only lived a week, she was 3 months early :( She would have been 27 years old now, but thats life, someone should have shown you the chinese way as it is much neater than the kite on small babies, bit late to try and explain to you know but if you fold the square in half, then take hold of one corner and move it over to the other you form a triangle, then whip it over and fold the remaining 'half into a rectangle shape in the centre this makes a thick part down the centre and you can fold up the legs after pinning, some things you just never forget!! :lol:
Old 05-14-2009, 11:35 AM

I still sometimes use a clothes line for sheets and jeans and sometimes everything in between. Love the smell and the crispness. Your "rules" are right on.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:37 PM

I love the smell of sheets hung on a clothes line. You could bring them inside and the scent would remain for awhile. Snuggle in between the sheets, relax and have a good night of restful sleep. Oh, the good ole' days!
Old 05-14-2009, 02:50 PM

I remember my Mom hanging the clothes out the window in Brooklyn. I now live on Long Island & have been married for 43 years & have always hung out my clothes! A few years ago my son in law built me one with 4x4s- it has 24 lines nicely spaced. I hang clothes out year round - everything except jeans, towels & the white wash ( underwear) as DH objects to some things being too stiff! I love the smell of the wash, the last of the material has a longer life & the time out by the washline gives me a little peace & serenity!
Terry in NY
Old 05-14-2009, 07:33 PM

All of that is how I lived until we moved to town three years ago. I miss my clothesline!

Now that I live in town, I have this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50095091

I can dry two small or one large load.

[img]http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/56894_PE162330_S3.jpg[/img]