Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who sews things besides quilts? >

Who sews things besides quilts?

Who sews things besides quilts?

Old 06-05-2011, 07:37 PM

OMG, I am so impressed with all this talent. By the time I do quilts (which I love the process), would like to learn the art of sewing clothing, but haven't gotten into it yet. But some day I'm gonna give it a try.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:42 PM

I've been sewing since I was 8 or so. Clothes, including a wedding dress, kids clothes, slipcovers, curtains, lure coursing blankets for the dogs. I used to work in an alterations shop, and the experience alone was worth doing it for free (though I didn't)
Old 06-05-2011, 07:48 PM

I sew baby bibs, receiving blankets, burp cloths, taggie blankies, many fleece hats, curtains, boxers and sleep pants and some other clothes, and braided wreaths, some tree decorations,stuffed trees, my doggies dresses, and much more I cant remember. I just cant do fancy things. I want to learn to do shirts, etc. especially button holes!!!
Old 06-05-2011, 08:01 PM

Currently my sewing is creating original works to showcase the vintage machines we refurbish- you can see them on ebay- look up kingofkettlekorn ( yes, we used to make kettle korn) My sewing has ranged greatly over the years depending on want, need, whim. My MOther and I designed and made my wedding gown for under 200.00- simular designs at the time were 1500.00 plus. Soft sculpture has always intrigued me as have so many other things, so there never seems to be a shortage of distractions- never enough time- and that stack of mending never seems to go away
Old 06-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Dee

I love sewing clothes. Right now I'm in the process of making kitchen curtains with scalloped bottoms. I like making draw draperies and household items,crafts and dolls.
I used to make all my clothes, suits for work and my sons shirts and pants. I love to sew.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:03 PM

Nothing wrong with that! I've done similar to you and I still sew for my grandkids and occasionaly for myself. AndI'm very much into handbags right now.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:52 PM

For family I make night clothes, do mending and I just finished four years of altering prom and military ball gowns for my granddaughter. One of my nieces, who works for a middle sized uniform company has asked if I would be interested in changing long sleeve school shirts into short sleeves. Seem the school changed uniforms and if her company wants to sell them they must be changed. She's bringing me one so I can show her boss my handiwork.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Lately, I re-do jeans into totes, various kinds skirts & aprons just for fun. People stop me when I wear one of my skirts. I also sew tents once in a while.
I also have seen many useful totes and cute jeans to aprons conversions. Hope you'll post a couple of pics for us, for ideas. I'm curious what type of grommet you must put in for the tent top corners? Do you Double or Triple the seam reinforcement for the corners?
Old 06-06-2011, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Damienvon3
Originally Posted by mimom
my husband wants me to make seat covers for his Model A, I haven't dont it yet.
I think it is actually against the LAW to mention Model T or Model A and not post a picture of said car!!!!!
Yes, please post pics. My grandparents both drove those cars, as a first in their families (and I DO mean first car, after horse & buggy)! :-D
Old 06-06-2011, 01:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cabinfever
Originally Posted by miriam
Lately, I re-do jeans into totes, various kinds skirts & aprons just for fun. People stop me when I wear one of my skirts. I also sew tents once in a while.
I also have seen many useful totes and cute jeans to aprons conversions. Hope you'll post a couple of pics for us, for ideas. I'm curious what type of grommet you must put in for the tent top corners? Do you Double or Triple the seam reinforcement for the corners?
I use a Consew walking foot sewing machine to sew. I use professional grade grommets put in with a professional grade grommet setter. I got them from Miami Rubber in Cincinnati, OH. The reinforcement on the corners is 3 or 4 layers. If you get fabric too thick the grommets won't stick. Seams are sewn then sewn over unless they have raw edges - then flat felled. The tent in the picture has been through 80 mph winds in Florida a couple times. It amazes me how strong fabric really is. I've done quite a few different tents. I usually start with the doors on a wedge or wall tent. Once I make the doors I do the walls. If it is a marquee tent I do the top first. I always start with the angled parts. Easier for me I guess. The tent in the pic is 5 or 6 years old now. I made a pattern out of 3X5 cards then built the tent. There is always something to do different for the next one.

I think there is a thread on here about jeans and what to do with them. I found some really cool stuff.