Why pay for Priority mail?

Old 03-16-2011, 11:28 AM

I have been waiting for a package that was picked up from the sender on March 11.
They sent it Priority mail.
Priority is supposed to deliver in 2 - 3days, correct?
I am using the tracking number to follow it online and it shows that it has sat in the local post office since Sat. March 12.
It's now March 16 and I don't have it.
I wonder how often we pay for Priority mail but don't really get it. My friend could have sent it First Class and it'd get here in the same amount of time for less money.
Grrr.
If it doesn't arrive today I'm going to call the Post Master and complain although it won't really do any good.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:33 AM

Speak to the postmaster at your post office. I think they may refund your $ if you paid for Priority Mail. It does not hurt to complain. I have received refunds.

If it had been sent 1st Class Mail, there would be no way to track it. I ship Priority Mail & it is scanned from my doorstep when picked up.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:33 AM
np3
Power Poster

I noticed this a few months back. I have started shipping First Class instead of Priority. The only Priority I do anymore is the Flat Rate packages.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:48 AM

I have discovered here lately that I can send some items priority cheaper than I can parcel post. When it comes to saving $1.50+ per item that works for me. I bought two patterns off the Debby Maddy website today and the shipping was a whopping $1.50 for both patterns.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:55 AM
MTS
Banned

Is the earliest line "Electronic Shipping Information Recd" - or something like that? And that message is dated March 11?

That does not mean the PO received the package.

All that means is that the Seller printed out your label - via PayPal or USPS.com - in her home on March 11. The package could have sat in her home all weekend, until SHE brought it to the post office Monday morning,or later. That would not be the PO's fault.

I had a seller on this board who sat on the labeled package for over a week. Amateurs :roll:
It was very annoying as I don't go to my POBox every day, and here I was checking the box only on the couple of days I thought it should have arrived. When I checked the tracking, I found it had NOT even been mailed out.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:15 PM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MTS
Is the earliest line "Electronic Shipping Information Recd" - or something like that? And that message is dated March 11?

That does not mean the PO received the package.

All that means is that the Seller printed out your label - via PayPal or USPS.com - in her home on March 11. The package could have sat in her home all weekend, until SHE brought it to the post office Monday morning,or later. That would not be the PO's fault.

I had a seller on this board who sat on the labeled package for over a week. Amateurs :roll:
It was very annoying as I don't go to my POBox every day, and here I was checking the box only on the couple of days I thought it should have arrived. When I checked the tracking, I found it had NOT even been mailed out.
When I print my postage, it puts in the date that I print it and it is also the date it is to be mailed. Are you saying that the PO accepted it with an old date on it?
Old 03-16-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
I got an email on March 11 from USPS and it says "order was shipped Priority 2nd day (inc Sat delivery)".
Would I get that if she had only printed the postage and label?
Now I wonder.
I'll have to contact her.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:27 PM
MTS
Banned

I've never ever had a package returned if I had the incorrect date on it - say, I printed the label out Saturday night and neglected to change the mail date to Monday. Especially if the rate is unchanged. You could drop it off a week later, but really, as the shipper/seller, you're only doing yourself a disservice as that becomes an INR (Item Not Recieved - at leas on eBay).

The DelConf tracking (which isn't tracking ;) ) would show the Electronic Info was received on Saturday night.

However, the next time the package got scanned could be at the P&DO or even regional center. Technically, there is NO obligation on the part of the USPS to scan the item other than at delivery.

However, luckily for us, they do seem to doing it on a much more frequent basis, so you can, in fact, "track" the package
Old 03-16-2011, 12:29 PM

The fact that you have a tracking number and it verifies that it sat in the local post office for 4 days before being shiped out... that's evidence enough to get a refund... But wait till your package arrives... they could just not deliver your package.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:31 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
Originally Posted by MTS
I got an email on March 11 from USPS and it says "order was shipped Priority 2nd day (inc Sat delivery)".
Would I get that if she had only printed the postage and label?
Now I wonder.
I'll have to contact her.
USPS.com might word it differently than PayPal (especially if it's an eBay related transaction). But if you received an email, she most definitely printed the label at home (you'll see when you get the package). You don't get the option of giving the clerk at the PO or kiosk an email address to notify the recepient of the shipment. Can you imagine how that would (or wouldn't) work? :lol:

And March 11 was a Friday. What time was the email created?
And what do the additional tracking lines say when you look it up?
Wait until you get the package before you ask the seller.

Not that items don't go missing, but I have to say, it's usually very fast. I sent something out yesterday morning and it's already in CA (from the east coast). ANd it's not that I'd don't engage in my own PO bashing :wink: :wink: from time to time.