Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Why We're Allergic to Foods - No Joke >

Why We're Allergic to Foods - No Joke

Why We're Allergic to Foods - No Joke

Old 06-01-2011, 01:41 PM

http://frugalandthriving.com.au/2011...nd+Thriving%29
Old 06-01-2011, 01:50 PM

Viewing on my phone, so can't play it. Can you please post a summary?
Old 06-01-2011, 02:23 PM

Explains protein allergies and why food allergies have increased since the 90's.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:40 PM

Oh man. I popped up with Soy allergy a few months ago. Have any idea how much food has soy in it? No fun. Thanks for sharing
Old 06-01-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
Viewing on my phone, so can't play it. Can you please post a summary?
the summary is that you should stop eating anything because nothing is safe to eat. it's really too complicated. click on it when you're on a computer. it's worth watching.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:24 PM

The number of children with allergies is frightning. Here in Australia, the last update that I have heard, is we are still fighting to not introduce genetically modified plants. Even though alot of what she talks about is banned here in Australia there are still so many children with food allergies, I so am thankful that mine do not have any. I try to feed my children lots of fresh fruit and vegetables (grown at home with no chemicals) and not much processed food so hopefully they will not develop any allergies later on in life.
Thank you for posting this, it was a real eye opener.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

This talk was fantastic- and very true!!

The only reason I know anything about this is b/c my
DH is a food scientist.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:11 PM
dd

I work for an allergist. I find it amazing that people can eat the same thing all their life then one day,
BAM! allergic reaction and they are in the hospital fighting for their life. Then they come see us to see what else they are allergic to and didn't know it. It's really sad to see the kids who can't have wheat, eggs milk and all the other things they should. I know with our grandson we try so much harder to give him good things to eat then we eat or we fed our children. We just didn't know before. Guess we were just young and stupid. That's what our parents ate, we thought.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:33 PM

Been allergic to nuts and legumes, strawberries, bananas, avacadoes, cantelope, and a few other things...all my life.

I'm also one of those people that is sensative to latex and all that...it's a bear, but I've dealt with it since I was born, so it's become pretty normal to me after 45 years.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:47 AM

Finally got to watch this. The speaker certainly has a very persuasive manner, but she does not present any actual data to show a link.

A major flaw in her argument is that, as she repeatedly points out, many countries did not allow those US GM proteins to be used in human food. What she does not acknowledge is that, in those countries, food allergies have also increased very markedly, just like in the US.

So how does she explain that?

There are other theories out there on why food allergies are on the rise. I am not buying into this one without evidence.

And as an aside, one reason why there is more cancer in the US (and she did leave that slide up there for a very long time, didn't she?) is that people live long enough to get cancer. (If you die of malaria as a child, you don't get cancer. If you do not have access to clean water and die of cholera, you do not live long enough to get cancer.) The picture on public health is very complex, and she seems to be trying to make it all about one thing, to support her own argument. I tend not to listen to people who do that.