Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Williams-Sonoma store scent. >

Williams-Sonoma store scent.

Williams-Sonoma store scent.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by dixie_fried View Post
If you have been to Williams-Sonoma, you know their store smells heavenly, but not in a cloying/overpowering way.

I found this blog pinned on pinterest and used the "recipe": http://morganmoore.typepad.com/one_m...20a9772f44970b

It smells SOOOOO good simmering on the stove, but you can only use it one, maybe two days before the lemon gets pretty yucky. So, I decided to find a way to make it keep. Instead of a whole lemon, I used lemon juice (1 cup) and lemon extract (1/2 tsp). I used dried rosemary because that's what I had on hand--about a tsp of leaves. I added about 1 tbsp of homemade vanilla extract and 1 cup of water. I brought it to a boil for 5 minutes or so and then let it simmer until it was half it's volume. Once it cooked down I let it cool and strained out the rosemary leaves. To the mixture I added the same amount of rubbing alcohol and poured it into a spray bottle. It is the perfect all natural Febreeze alternative and a smell you can't buy in the store!
So instead of the 2/3 pot of water you only used 1 cup? Just trying to get this straight so I can try it myself. Thanks
Old 04-20-2012, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by QuickStitch View Post
So instead of the 2/3 pot of water you only used 1 cup? Just trying to get this straight so I can try it myself. Thanks
That's what I did for the room spray so that it was more concentrated and easier to further cook down. If you were to let it simmer all day, obviously you'd need the extra liquid.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:22 AM

Wow, can't wait to try this. Thanks for the "recipe".
Old 04-20-2012, 06:30 AM

Printed this one and am going to try it. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2012, 09:20 AM

Another thing you can do with the vanilla pods is slice them open, scrape out all the gooey innards & mix them with some sugar. Stick the sliced bean in the sugar and store for a couple of months - vanilla sugar! Very tasty in coffee and on top of cookies.

I made this air freshener today and boy is it yummy!! I put a small fan next to the stove and my whole house smells awesome! Thanks for posting the link!
Old 04-20-2012, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Another thing you can do with the vanilla pods is slice them open, scrape out all the gooey innards & mix them with some sugar. Stick the sliced bean in the sugar and store for a couple of months - vanilla sugar! Very tasty in coffee and on top of cookies.

I made this air freshener today and boy is it yummy!! I put a small fan next to the stove and my whole house smells awesome! Thanks for posting the link!
Yummy, Peckish! I think I will get some sugar in the raw and give that a try, too. I once had a margarita that had vanilla sugar on the rim. It was AMAZING!

ETA: How many pods to how much sugar do you use?

Last edited by dixie_fried; 04-20-2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: question
Old 04-20-2012, 01:16 PM

I like a really strong vanilla flavor, so I use 1 cup of sugar for every pod, and the longer it sits the better it gets. I also hide it from the kids!