Windows 10 ?

Old 08-19-2015, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

I'm not changing anything til I just have to.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:51 AM

My computer guy said DO NOT DOWNLOAD
Old 08-20-2015, 03:02 AM

Well, from everything that I have read here from members that have installed it, it sounds like there are more dislikes than there are likes. So I think I'll keep 8.1 until I'm forced into 10, even if it is free.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:01 AM

My son is a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer who runs his own computer business and he advised me to wait a few months in case there are bugs in the first release. So when he says it's okay, then I'll upgrade. As Mermaid said, when has Microsoft given us anything for free?!?!
Old 08-20-2015, 05:38 AM

My IT guy said "go for it". He has updated all of the computers where he works and so far so good he says. I have downloaded it and so far it is working just fine. There are a couple of glitches in it, but nothing that is bothersome.
We will each have our own individual problems as we decide to update.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:43 AM

I want to thank everyone for their replies and I also think I'll wait before downloading it on my main computer. If I get the alert on my second I might download on that since I only use it for watching quilting video's in my studio.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:35 AM

Well, I updated my Acer notebook last week, and I HATED Windows 10. After using it for several days and having multiple issues, I went back to Windows 8.1. I will not upgrade my desk computer -- it runs just find on Windows 7! I hope y'all have better luck than I did, but I will not be installing Windows 10 again. Betty
Old 08-20-2015, 07:24 AM

My son said not to do it. It just leads to trouble. He works with computers a lot and I believe him.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
I've read of some installing 10 from a notification that did not come from Microsoft---and they had terrible problems that sent the computer for repair. I received notification to my Win 7 Pro, that I could "register" for the download and go on the list. I made sure it came from MS. So I gave my info and waited to learn when I could upgrade (you know you can only upgrade from 7 or operating systems?)...I think it was only about 24 hrs until I got notice that I was now approved and ready for download. Again I ck'd the sender. After download, I was asked if I wanted to "install now, or wait for a more convenient time". It took several hrs to complete, tho I was only standing by while all this happened. When I was ready to shut down for the night, there was no 'power', no 'shut down', no restart, etc---so I had to force a shutdown with power button on computer. I was distraught and planned to undo the install/go back to Win 7 next morning. However, next morning, there were all the ''turn off'' options, the screen looked different. I then read that all does not work right until after the first update. Now I am pleased as punch with this new windows. I'm keeping it! I've also read that some people mistakenly think it is only a trial version--not so--it is full version and totally free--for a yr from date of release. Some understand that to mean free for a yr and then you have to pay for it. Not so. But if you don't get the free offer before it expires, then you WILL have to buy the software. Like, how often has Microsoft given us anything free??!!!
I don't know what to think about all this. My gut is that Microsoft shotgun this out, and there's way too many scenarios out there to have them all work out perfectly. Kind of a lab test. Some fails, some successes.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:49 AM

I went ahead and downloaded/installed Win10 last week. My most used programs such as ProQ Designer, Quicken, EQ7 work fine. When I went to view one of my videos though I had issues. Also I use YDT Video Downloader and now I'm having issues with it. When I went to print a page in ProQ it said there was an error and couldn't print the page but it did anyway. My internet (Google, Yahoo and AOL) I have no issues with so far. I think I opened up Embird too but can't remember so won't say one way or the other how it works. Haven't downloaded/installed on my laptop yet.