Windows 8

Old 12-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Administrator

many thanks, QKO, for that extremely useful information.
when it comes to computers, there's no such thing as "too fast." LOL

maybe i'll upgrade my old laptop so i can play with 8 before deciding whether to change the platform on my other computers.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:36 PM

I just brought a new laptop and avoided win8. My dh would not adjust to it well. I am thinking I may just go apple and forget windows. Yet I like Microsoft and have both platforms( apple and microsoft) , i will wait and see how win8 is embraced. Good luck with it. From what I understand, deep down it really isn't all that much different other than no start button.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:07 PM
Power Poster

I also go lap top with windows 8 for Christmas. I was really unhappy until granddaughter came over and went back to windows 7 set up like PKQ mentioned on last page.
XP was so easy. Why did they have to mess with it.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:01 PM
Power Poster

oh my, i thought going with Internet Explorer 9 was hard enough! I still have Windows 7. i hate change.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:11 PM

I have a new laptop with Win8, I haven't decided if I like it or not. I found it not very efficient as I see myself clicking more times to o the same things that took me 1 click in Win 7 but I am giving it a chance.
I learned to use the Start feature from the keyboard and click on the Desktop, from there I browse internet like before with the back button and all.
I don't like the email version - App type so I have added my email to the Favorites so I can open it the old style.
I like though the touch screen when I am laying at night reading the board, I can easily move the screen with a touch.
I will subscribe to this thread to learn what others have learned.
andrea
Old 12-29-2012, 02:11 AM

I'll be following this thread even if I do not have Window 8 yet, I want to learn before I have to change my computer, so that I don't get lost. I like technology as long as I can manage it, but I don't have too much patience with it , so I better start to learn it now... loll
Old 12-29-2012, 03:52 AM

You almost have to regard Windows 8 in the same way that you use a smart phone.Swipe your finger left or right to change screens and scroll down and up.A double tap with your finger helps for text.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:12 AM
Swap Hosts

I hate it. All those tiles to link to stuff I never ever use. It is just awful. My work around was to go to the right where the search button comes down and then click on apps and eventually get to the desk top. I know that if you point to the upper left corner you can see the other window you have open. Still can't configure the email. Foo on Windows 8!
Old 12-29-2012, 05:01 AM

I just bought a new computer in September and insisted that it come with Windows 7. Unless you get a touch screen, which I have on my iPad, Windows 8 is not for you. I too thought maybe not wanting it has something to do with age. However, yesterday my 13 year old, very tech savy grandson got a new laptop with Windows 8, and no touch screen. We sat around for 3 or 4 hours playing with it, and trying to figure out why some things that you don't expect to happen, happen, and some things that you do expect to happen, don't. We definitely didn't get too much figured out. I am so happy it is his and not mine.
Thanks to Don and Cindy for the info on getting the Windows 7 interface. Now if he can only figure out how to go back in IE he might feel pretty good for awhile.[

QUOTE=Evie;5745478]I'm still trying to figure out all the features on Win7! The ones I have learned which are different from XP I have come to like, but it took awhile. Old dogs take more time to learn new tricks! [/QUOTE]
Old 12-29-2012, 05:31 AM

I was at the Best Buy Geek desk the other day when I heard someone ask the geek if he could uninstall windows 8 and reinstall windows 7 on his computer. The geek said yes he could do it, but why would anyone want to. Now I know.