Windows 8

Old 12-31-2012, 09:38 AM
QKO

Zennia - the insert and delete buttons are normally on your keyboard.

1234 - The little tiles icon in the lower left is the Win8 version of the start menu. Click on it and it'll bring up the Start tiles. There you can find the tile that is called "desktop" and if you click on that you'll think you're back in Win7. If you upgraded from Win7 you'll see all your applications there on the desktop and you can pin apps to the bottom task bar just like Win7. If you want to change settings, which was also on the start menu in win7, or log in or out, slide your cursor to the right side of the screen and a popout will appear with icons for doing those functions.

ActiveX - If you're running the new IE 10 browser, which is what comes with Win8, run it from the Desktop (click on desktop in the tile menu). If you want to run unsigned ActiveX controls, which btw is not very secure but required for some games, do this: In IE, bring up the tools menu (looks like a little gear at right side of screen) and select Internet options. On that popup, click on Internet zone, then click on the Security tab, and on that tab click on the Custom Level button. The Security Settings - Internet zone box should appear. If you scroll down in that aways you'll find all the settings to change for allowing unsigned ActiveX controls.

Not sure what you're using for your email client, so I can't answer the other question. I use Thunderbird and all my stuff transferred over with no problem, but I was upgrading from Win7. This might be a question you have to google.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 AM

If I have questions about anything, I am fortunate I can go to my son who is one of those geeks who does not work at the big retailer. If he doesn't have an answer, he knows how to get it. Another source if members here aren't available or don't have your answers, is one he suggested: PC Magazine online at http://www.pcmag.com. You don't need to subscribe to anything. We use it all the time for any assistance I need in order to figure stuff out and review new and available technology. Here are two links to Windows 8 Super Guide and Windows 8 previews, tips and info. Check out the blue highlights in the articles. There is a lot of info available, and in the second link click on the red headings for each item. It is a lot of info, but a lot of useful info. PC Mag also has a search and live help.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411454,00.asp
http://www.pcmag.com/windows-8/
This is only a suggestion-I am not promoting them in any way. It is a valuable source of info that has gotten us out of a lot of computer ruts over the years.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:14 AM

thanks... it worked yeah
Old 01-01-2013, 03:36 PM

thanks NanaCsews2 I will check it out.

But one more question for QKO I want to listen to pandora on my laptop.. do I have to do that same thing as for Active X? When I go in there for Pandora there are about 12 things to open, do all of them have to be open, how do I choose which ones. Also I belong to QuiltersClub of America, It won't let me login there either.... ugh.. this is so frustrating... I went to the internet options in tools and did the same for QCA as I did for Active X, but still won't let me log in... HELP please. I am going to check out the above links... VERY FRUSTRATED
Old 01-01-2013, 04:53 PM

Nana tried one of the sites and they want $38 for an answer... can't do that, but thanks for suggestion.