Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Windy Run One Room School House 1889 >

Windy Run One Room School House 1889

Windy Run One Room School House 1889

Old 10-01-2007, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker101
Thanks for sharing that, Miranda.

I think it is funny that they didn't get electricity til the 40s or 50s since the place it is in is named after Tesla, who was real competition for Thomas Edison.

There is an old school house like that at Knott's Berry Farm (amusement park) in So Cal. I liked visiting that part of the park better than the newer sections. (You can still pan for gold there!)

Its really nice that you get to go along on field trips with your kids too.
Well, it may have been the 30's because I didn't write anything down. I forgot my notebook.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:29 PM

It was fascinating to read about the old schoolhouse - I love things like that. My mother also made the little button toy for us during the depression when there wasn't much money for toys.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:11 AM

I am not sure if NC has anything that old. But what they do have is the tiniest school! It has 52 students and use to be a full size school before WWII. Now it is only an elementary and it has (I think) 10 teachers. This is in Yancey County about 1 1/2 miles form our house. The state wanted to shut it down and send the kids to town but the parents put up a ruckus and got it to stay open for the little ones. A ride to town to town would have been an hour and a half ride for the little ones--way too long.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by vicki reno
I am not sure if NC has anything that old. But what they do have is the tiniest school! It has 52 students and use to be a full size school before WWII. Now it is only an elementary and it has (I think) 10 teachers. This is in Yancey County about 1 1/2 miles form our house. The state wanted to shut it down and send the kids to town but the parents put up a ruckus and got it to stay open for the little ones. A ride to town to town would have been an hour and a half ride for the little ones--way too long.
I have been waiting for "them" to try to consolidate all the Elem. schools in the county like they did the Middle schools. The middle schools got consolidated in about 1992. The high school was in the 60's. When they get ready to do the Elem. schools, they'd better be prepared for a fight.

NC has the old Battleship down in Wilmington.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:25 PM

I live in a small town in the Berkshires in Mass and spent 8 years in a school like this when I was in 4th grade they built an addition on and we became 2 rooms. In 1960 my sister start in the largest class in the schools history there were 11 kids in her 1st grade class. My 8th grade graduating class has a whole 3 students and that included me. The school is now the town library.