Wintering somewhere warm

Old 04-08-2011, 06:15 AM

Anyone here move temporarily somewhere warm for the winter??? This winter has shoved us over the edge and we are looking to winter somewhere else next year....we would quit our jobs and keep our house here (WY), just close it up and go. We are contemplating an RV or (because of high gas prices) renting until we figure out the perfect place for us. Any ideas/suggestions??? Thanks!
Old 04-08-2011, 06:20 AM

Most of the southern states' populations grow in the winter months with what we call "snowbirds." They come by the thousands, mostly to Texas, Arizona, and Florida. Here we also call them Winter Texans. So, yes, lots of people do this.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:25 AM

Look into the beaches of North Carolina. It's not super warm all winter like Texas and Florida, but compared to WY it is toasty. Rentals are cheap in places like Carolina Beach in the off season. Wilmington is a good sized town and isn't far away at all.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:28 AM

Okay --we've left the NW twice to find warm in the winter. Once we went to Arizona, then on over to Texas. The 2nd time we spent in Arizona.......COLD COLD COLD....both times they tell me it's the "coldest winter we've ever had". I don't like wind and they have WIND. I was warmer at home next to the wood stove! Now, this winter we stayed home and our friends in Yuma keep calling telling us how warm it is!!!!!!!! SO -- the answer here is to find out where I'm going to be and DON'T go there!!!!! ROL!

Our friends that go to the Apache Junction area of Arizona tell us they've had wind and rain.....but do have nice days. Those in Yuma seem to be the warmest and driest.

As for RVing --- yes gas is high...however, if you plan on driving and staying in one place it isn't as bad as if you're driving around exploring.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:35 AM

We have wintered in Florida. We stayed home this year (we had all of ice which was terrible but we survived.)

I think a 5th wheel or RV would be the way to go then you know where you are staying is clean. We have stayed in some pretty undesirable places.

There are places in Texas that have nice RV resorts and I would check out Florida and do the same.

Hope this helps!

Hugs,

Jenny:)
Old 04-08-2011, 08:47 AM

We spend our winter (some of it) in Quartzsite, AZ which is about 80 miles from Yuma AZ. This little town explodes to about 100,000 people in the winter months. We do dry camping on the desert in our RV and love it. We also spend some time in Yuma, just to get to the shopping and Mexico for medicines. It can be cold and windy at times, but not as cold as where we live. The warmer weather outweighs the cold. We return to our home after a couple months. If you like camping, this is the way to go.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by sharoney
Most of the southern states' populations grow in the winter months with what we call "snowbirds." They come by the thousands, mostly to Texas, Arizona, and Florida. Here we also call them Winter Texans. So, yes, lots of people do this.
In Florida they are called snow birds
Old 04-08-2011, 11:59 AM

We have a lot of snowbirds here in MO, most of which go to Fla. Except for this year, I would rather stay home. We have had an offer to give some classes and a trunkshow in LA next year during Jan and I think that we will do it.

Lanny
Old 04-08-2011, 02:45 PM

We live in Florida year round, but our population doubles in winter. Friends from IL have been going to south west and just love it. This year they spent time south of the grand canyon on the CA/AZ border. Florida is great, but that would be a long haul for you.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:47 PM

If you don't mind going into Mexico, I've seen people camping along the ocean in the Baha. It's beautiful down there.