Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Wood refinishing question - not vintage >

Wood refinishing question - not vintage

Wood refinishing question - not vintage

Old 12-08-2014, 09:33 AM
pal

Please wait until you can do it outside - or at least leave your garage door open! I put down newspapers and then a plastic shower liner down to work on. You'll also need some kind of a bucket to put the paint scrapings into.

I use stripper and then scrape the stripper and old paint off with a wide putty knife - then go over it again with very fine steel wool dipped in the stripper to get off anything that's left on the furniture. Start with an inconspicuous area, like the back of a leg to see what you've got.

Good luck to you - I think you will be very pleased with the result!
Old 12-08-2014, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

It all depends on what's on it and how bad/good shape the wood is in. I would google and check out different videos. DH stripped and refinished nearly every piece of wood furniture we have. We got our dresser (solid oak) for $25. It weighs a ton without the drawers. He made our kitchen table top and attached it to a different table bottom. Every thing outside on the carport.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:09 AM

Some of the stripping products are very harmful. Ventilation is very important. Of course, the ones that are the ones that work the fastest. Some of the others if you paint it on then cover with plastic wrap to keep it from drying out take longer but safer.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:13 AM

Do you WANT the original wood to be there? Or do you want to repaint it, and are bringing it to its original state and then painting?

If you are planning on repainting, you Annie Sloan Chalk Paint ... you don't need to sand / strip or anything, just paint right over it ... 2 coats does nicely!

If this is what you want, and need more info, just ask ... I redid ALL the furniture in the house ... it was loads of fun! And the chalk paint is "natural" and odourless!
Old 12-08-2014, 10:23 AM

Do you WANT the original wood to be there? Or do you want to repaint it, and are bringing it to its original state and then painting?

If you are planning on repainting, you Annie Sloan Chalk Paint ... you don't need to sand / strip or anything, just paint right over it ... 2 coats does nicely!

If this is what you want, and need more info, just ask ... I redid ALL the furniture in the house ... it was loads of fun!
Old 12-08-2014, 12:21 PM

Be aware that the humidity in your area and the house will have a direct effect on the finish you use. Cold weather and high humidity will delay (for a long time) the curing of whatever you use. This is, of course, after you have done your stripping and sanding. Most varnishes or urathanes do not do well in less that 70 degree temperatures, and paint will even take three times as long to dry and cure. When you are done, and the piece is ready you will be so proud of the work you did and rightly so. Have fun with it and please, show a picture when you are done.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:50 PM

My intent was to get it stripped back to the original pine, then stain and varnish it - I will have to do another pine piece to match. Will likely have a dark stain applied. I'll post pictures when I finish, but don't hold your breath! I won't be starting for awhile yet.