Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Wooden Spools

I was at my local quilting shop about a year ago and bought some quilting thread. It was, what I thought, expensive, about $5.95, but it was on a wooden spool. It has been years since I have seen wooden spools of thread. I just brought it out to use on my hand quilting I am doing and every time I look at it, it reminds me of when my father use to pound nails around the top of wooden spools and then wind yarn around the nails and pull the knitted tubes through the hole. He'd change colors every so often and when it got long enough, he would sew it together to make round or oblong rugs with it. It's something I never forgot. I guess it just amazed me that my father use t o do that. I thought it was cool. Now you can buy the plastic one to do the same thing, but when I saw that wooden spool, I had to have it. Brings back good memories. Just thought I would share.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    What a wonderful memory! Loved your story :)
    I love wooden spools, they are so nice!

You brought back a memory to me. My sis and I used to make those tubes of yarn too. Great memory.

I bought some of the plastic "knitting knobbys" at a yard sale and I am trying to teach my 3 1/2 granddaughter how to use them. She needs a little more hand-eye coordination .

Blog Entries
    That brought back memories..I can remember sitting for hours with a spool making what I thought was a masterpiece. Thanks for the memory!

Last Summer at agaragesale I got a box of thread, some was still on wooded spools!