Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Woolly Bear Caterpillar Sightings?

Woolly Bear Caterpillar Sightings?

Have the Wisconsin people sighted any woolly bear caterpillars yet? I remember you could always tell how bad the winters were going to be. They were never wrong. So funny to see a herd of the furry little beasties crossing the road. My kids used to gather them up and help them get to the other side.

Our local tv station weatherman had a segment on this last week. The wooly worm was brown near the head, the rest of its body was black ... indicating a hard winter in the northern Missouri area. Last year the wooly worm was a brown all over and we had a very mild winter with snow only twice. The Farmer's Almanac is also indicating a cold winter. Don't think I'm quite ready for this forecast.
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

Blog Entries
    No sightings here in NC either. Each October we have the Wooly Worm Festival up in Banner Elk. If the size of the acorns is a sign of things to come, we're gonna be in trouble!!

I always thought the Woolly Bear prediction was a Wisconsin thing, like cheesecurds, Schlitz, and brats at McDonalds. Shame on me! ~

We don't see many of them. Here they open wild persimmons to predict snow and how much. We have two of them and I hate them, Husband doesn't want to cut down the trees. They make a mushy, nasty mess and slippery if you step on one.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Actually I have not seen any yet this year some years (I also see them crossing the road I will keep watching!

I`m in mid Wisconsin, we are watching for them, but so far I haven`t seen any. Will keep looking!

We get the little blighters here! It is spring just now and for the past few weeks I have been picking what seems like hundreds off my silverbeets...AARGH.

We have a gum tree called a Marri....the Aboriginal people say if you get heavy blossoms, winter will be very wet. Must say...it's pretty accurate.

Just came inside about 10 minutes ago. There was one (wooly bear) on the peony leaf. What I've heard predicted for this winter is little snow but brutally cold. Considering weather people with all their sophisticated equipment can't reliably predict what's going to happen tomorrow, I don't take a lot of stock in what's said. We'll get what we get.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
    Just came inside about 10 minutes ago. There was one (wooly bear) on the peony leaf.
    Do you remember what color the wooly bear was? ~

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast