Work at home jobs

Old 08-04-2012, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by oleganny View Post
I worked from home for many years after I retired - would still be working if hadn't developed bronchial spasms making it difficult to talk for any period of time. I worked for West at Home, ACDD, & Live Ops. At West I took calls for HSN & many of the infomercial products. There were also special projects, such as Red Cross, & product recalls. You are an employee with West, & they only hire in certain states - something about local income tax. With ACDD it was mostly PBS fundraisers I took calls for, but they also had special projects, sometimes. With Live Ops I took calls for the infomercial products, & they also had special projects. You are an IC with ACDD & Live Ops. For the most part you can set your own hours & the money is pretty good for sitting in your pjs - lol. You need to pass a background check, have high speed internet access & a dedicated phone line - (my dedicated line cost me about $25 a month. Keep track of all work related expenses & they are deductible on your taxes - If you have a home office (as I did) dedicated to my work, you can also deduct a portion of your household expenses but keep very good records on this as uncle sam looks at it pretty hard if you come up with a lot of deductions of that type. My target income was $500 a month gross, but I could & did make $1000 or more a month if I wanted to buckle down & work the extra hours. There are more reputable companies out there, too but some of them have a non compete clause, which means you can only work for them & I figured 3 companies were enough to make sure that I could always get hours when I wanted them.
Good Luck & Hugs
Shirley in Indiana
I also worked for Live Ops. Taking Pizza orders online, but they do offer other customer service jobs. It is legit, I quite because I was having ear problems.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:29 AM

I'm in sales and have worked from home for years. Of course I have to travel to my appointments. Not sure if this is an answer.
Sandy
Old 08-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

I just don't want to put a company's programs on my computer and use the Internet to put it at risk for viruses. it's too expensive to replace, so i have not looked at jobs that require me to do that.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:02 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

My daughter works for a cell company from home handling calls regarding service ...She loves it, goes in once a week, brings her lap top (company provided) to work; stays for a meeting then goes home and for the rest of her week is at home. Lucky duck !!LOL Her husband will be doing the same sort of .. He will search out people who have had bad luck with the provider service and see what he can do for them.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:03 PM

Location: Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters

I used to work at home as a medical transcriber, but that profession has all but faded into Dragon Naturally Speaking and docs using computers in the office.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:46 PM

[TABLE="width: 312"]
[TR]
[TD="class: xl65, width: 312"]Enumerate your skills and work interests. Look up job prospects for work-from-home opportunities. Look up training requirements and train online if necessary. There are many types of WFH jobs available; the trick is connecting to the right community where they are available in plenty. You can know more about WFH options at CareerStep.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 11-27-2012, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
I just don't want to put a company's programs on my computer and use the Internet to put it at risk for viruses. it's too expensive to replace, so i have not looked at jobs that require me to do that.
Most work from home jobs entail computer work. You may want to purchase a separate PC just for work.

S
Old 11-27-2012, 07:04 PM

I can't imagine what kind of job would be available to someone to work from home that did not require you to connect to the home company by computer. How else would you do their work?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
I can't imagine what kind of job would be available to someone to work from home that did not require you to connect to the home company by computer. How else would you do their work?
Oh there are plenty of jobs that do not require you to connect to the company to do your work. My husband works from home in Washington State, and his "office" or home company is in New Jersey. He is a consultant and communicates with his supervisors, co-workers, clients and customers via email, phone, virtual meeting, and travel. All of his co-workers are the same way. I have to admit, sometimes I wish he worked in a real, 8-to-5 office job. He gets underfoot sometimes.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:04 AM

This made me laugh...I find the same...just cause I quilt does not mean I can sew..LOL...and the can you sew a button or patch on...HA...Nope...as for at home jobs I agree with all the others...get a regular job billing, finance..many will left you work from home once you are there for a while.
Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
I went from working in the medical field full-time for 40+ years, to retiring, to a home-based quilt business in the blink of an eye. I stay pretty busy, using any downtime I may luck up on to do charity quilts and other things I'm interested in. The one thing that really bothers me about being at home and sewing is that other people seem to feel that "since you sew"...your talents should be readily available to the family/community for such mundane things as sewing on buttons, repairing stuff and altering clothing. And you know what? Sometimes I WILL do it...but when I do, I resent the heck out of it! I think I've told everyone I know that my shop is purposely called a "quilt shop" and not a "sewing shop" for a very real reason. Anyone else have that problem? And to answer your question...I'm sure there are legitimate "at-home" jobs out there but you really need to be careful so you don't get stuck...