Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Working with 5 and 7 year olds - what to do? >

Working with 5 and 7 year olds - what to do?

Working with 5 and 7 year olds - what to do?

Old 07-31-2013, 10:37 AM

Default Working with 5 and 7 year olds - what to do?

What kinds of easy fun projects using fabric have you done with little ones ages 5 and 7? I'd like to introduce them to fabric and colors - just not sure about the use of a machine yet so I'm looking for some ideas on what we/they could do that might be fun when using fabric.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

I think what I would do is iron Steam-a-Seam 2 to the wrong side of lots of different fabrics. I would also iron freezer paper to the wrong side of white or cream muslin (and/or other colored near-solid type fabrics that would make good backgrounds), then cut into large rectangles. You could cover an inch or more of the rectangles with blue painter's tape (so they don't use the edges).

Assuming the children can use scissors, they can cut pieces out of the SAS fabrics, peel off the paper backing, and arrange them on the backgrounds as they like. When they are satisfied with their pictures, you can iron them to make the fusible permanent.

There are inexpensive paperboard "canvases" you can purchase at art stores (and JoAnn Fabrics has them in the craft area). If you coordinate the size of the background fabrics with the size of these canvases, you can use duct tape to tape the finished fabric picture to the canvas. Parents could actually frame these by purchasing a frame with mat.

Edit: To make it even easier for the children, you could first cut a variety of pieces out of the fabric for the children to use. For example, you could cut lots of leaves and stems from green fabric, lots of flower petals from a variety of other fabrics, maybe some circles and rays for suns, maybe some geometric shapes for those who might want to create robots, etc.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:14 AM

I have cut out squares of fabric and then mt nephew who was 4 at the time learned to hand sew them together when he was done I sandwiched it and sewed together then he hand quilted it of course the quilting left a lot to be desired heavy in spots scarce in other spots it became a placement to put dogs feeding dish on then we went on to learning to use the sewing machine we made wall hangings for his room he was so proud of his work. He always asked me to needle the thread when it became unthreaded we also made a couple pot holders then went on to making our own fabric using a paintbrush and paintnwhich we ended up making a collage out of
Old 07-31-2013, 11:17 AM

Forgot to say the first lesson we did with paper just laying it out in pleasing patterns most was cut out of magazines pic of his favorite things we glued it onto paper and it went into his very own scrap book that he and I were making
Old 07-31-2013, 01:57 PM

It's not fabric, but plastic canvas and plastic needles open up a new dimension of creativity for ones in that age group.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:32 AM

Check out handprint crafts on Google..most can be done on paper or fabric. Depends on the paint you'd use. Also, stencil with paint, put in a hoop or frame...details can be drawn with permanent markers or crayons (heat set the crayon by covering with newsprint, then ironing). These small things can be turned into mug rugs, coasters, or get inexpensive frames at craft stores. They can also stitch together a bean bag...depends on how many kiddoes you have to work with at a time.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:56 AM

last weekend I had 3 grands over, a 7 yr old and 2, 5 yr olds, we made sharpies tie dye t shirts. you can google for directions. they all did great and now have new Ts. wish I had taken pics!
Old 08-02-2013, 08:31 AM

Loved the tie dyes w/sharpies....going to try that on GDP next time I babysit..she will love it! Thanks
Old 08-02-2013, 10:41 AM

You could give them all your snip its or scraps & have them glue them on a jar for a pencil or crayon holder. I have done this with small children & they loved doing them. I let them use mod podge to glue the peaces on & then let them paint two layers of mod podge over the fabric. Letting each layer dry good before adding the second of course. You could also give them lots of different sizes of squares, rectangle, triangles & let them glue them to paper making there own block. You can then later sew their blocks for them. If they done several blocks, you could put them into a small quilt of their own.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:26 PM

My 6 year old GD sewed her first quilt. She picked her fabrics and sewed it all on my FW including the borders. I pinned and pressed. I only ripped 5 seams in the whole quilt...I usually rip more. If you have plenty of eyes to help, doll quilts would be good or placemats for the boys.