Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Would be grateful if you could say a sewing machine you liked. >

Would be grateful if you could say a sewing machine you liked.

Would be grateful if you could say a sewing machine you liked.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:00 AM

I have, Pfaff, Babylok and Janome. Each is different, but I love all of them. It will depend a lot on what features you want. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:45 AM

If you quilt a lot, it is hard to pass up the price and features of the Janome 6600. I have two of them and I just purchased the Janome 8900. Love both of these models, The accufeed and auto thread cutter are wonderful. The 8900 has 9mm decorative stitches that are to die for...Find a Janome dealer and try them out. PM me for good online/store front dealers I have purchased from.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:30 AM

I have Featherweight, Bernina, Pfaff, Brother, and Babylock machines.

My favorite is between the Babylock and Brother! PM me if you need more information.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:50 AM

I have a Bernina 440 QE and absolutely love it. It stitches as smooth as butter. I have the BSR (stitch regulator) and find free motion quilting just a delight to do. I have 2 other machines, both Singers, one of which I leave at my summer cottage and one which is my back-up machine at home. I don't remember the model #s, but they were both under $200. I really like them for basic piecing and machine applique. They both have a great blanket stitch. I don't think I'd want either to be my only machine, but as back-ups they are great.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Don't discount the Brother machines. You can go from very low end to one with bells and whistles with everything in between.
I have a brother sewing and embroidery machine I bought on Amazon for $300 ( I think it was refurbished but had the same warranty as new) I also have a $1500 Pfaff. My little brother beats the Pfaff hands down. Only use the Pfaff for quilting as it has a 10 inch throat.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:06 AM

I love my Bernina and would go for the best one I could for what I could spend. The dealers often have refurbished and reconditioned used machines that are still wonderful machines. That would be my first choice. I have been quilting for 25 years and that's my advice. However, I do NOT quilt the big quilts myself like queen sized or even twins they go to long arm ladies.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:20 AM

I am loving my Janome 8900. It works great.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by PumpkinSundae View Post
Hi...my sewing machine's motor died and I have to start looking for a new one. I know I need to do a test drive at the dealer but was wondering if you would be kind enough to mention what machine you like. I didn't use any of the fancy stitches on my old machine. I know the dealer sells Bernina, Babylock, Singer and Juki.

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

A weekend without my machine.
Ask about lessons. My Bernina dealer gives lessons on the Bernina but not the Bernitte. Also, repair service is really important to me. Ask if the machine is kept in the shop or sent out. I bought a Singer, a JoAnn's anniversary special from their on line site. It didn't work. I would have had to FedEx it to Florence, SC or somewhere in KY for the warranty work. The person on the line kept telling me what could possibly be wrong. At that point I just wanted rid of it. She finally told me that they were only repair. I would have to get in touch with JoAnn's on line. I did. They took it back, emailed me all the labels, paperwork etc for Fed Ex to pick it up and I got all my money back. Never again do I order on line. When buying a machine....sew, touch, ask questions, sew some more.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
Is this the PQ1500S? That is all I see when I search online. I'm sorry I didn't buy this or the comparable Juki. I was lured into the Janome 7700 by the harp size but I paid a lot of money for features I never use. I'm currently considering buying a second machine as a backup and Brother is one that I would consider.
I have the Brother PQ1500S and love it! But keep in mind it is a straight stitch only. It sells for $599 at Amazon. Look it up and read the reviews.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:54 PM

love my Juki