Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Would it be tacky to....... >

Would it be tacky to.......

Would it be tacky to.......

Old 05-15-2013, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I think it will be a nice. My girls loved actual presents instead of cash and B&B was always a welcome gift.
What I think is tacky is the last few years I receive graduation notices from a lot from kids I've seen a few times when they were babies. The parents were friends at one time but have drifted away, haven't heard from them in years. Now when their child is graduating I am a family friend. The child does not know us at all. I'll send a card saying congratulations if I send anything at all. My kids weren't allowed to send out notices to everyone in our address book. Only family and close friends of the family.
We have the same issue! We just got one a few days ago, and it literally took about an hour to figure out who it was from!! Haven't seen this graduate in 10+ years!!
Old 05-16-2013, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by kathyd View Post
I don't think it is tacky. One of my daughters got a bath towel and wash cloths from a friends mom. She had the grad's name embroidered on it. If you have a machine with embroidery capabilities this could be a great take to college gift!
Someone did this for our daughter when she graduated and she loved it too. Wish I would have remembered that earlier..... Will have to keep in mind for next year. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:57 AM

Not at all tacky, a great gift for those going off to college. Another nice gift I think and very useable is an extra large bath sheet towel, with matching wash cloths. I have given these and my son rec.'d one that was monogramed. You might want to monogram the recepient's name on it as well. Also something that every student can use is a duffle bag style dirty clothes hamper. My two really used theirs that I made them and of course they were always full of dirty clothes when they came home from college. Grad. can become so expensive, and it really surprising how appreciated a nice homemade gift can be.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:23 PM

What about a gift card. Find out what one of their favorites stores are and get the card.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:11 PM

A nice picture frame or a photo album. I often go to Etsy.com and get a gift of handmade soaps or lotions. I also bought a cute necklace on there once as well for a graduation gift. I, too, prefer a gift to money. Another idea is a laundry bag for college or I thought the cooler idea was good, too.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:27 PM

If askin if it's tacky then for you it is. However, you should really not give more than you want to or do anything you really don't want to do. How about a gift card then they pick out the scent they like, or think of something less personal than a favorite scent.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:59 PM

For Christmas one year , in addition to main gift, recent engaged DGD got a 1940's book on ettiquette and a modern wedding guide book. Her Mom and she loved the comparisons, particularly in prices. At her high school graduation party a really good friend of her Mom's gave her a gallon (maybe) of DGD's fav shampoo.Who wouldn't like that..
Old 05-27-2013, 02:55 AM

Give what you want to....or not. It really is the thought that counts. When i got married in 2002 i received a couple of interesting gifts. One was a small glass bowl with shamrocks all over it.......(i am not Irish). BUT it was from a dear friend of my mothers' and I really did not know this lady...she was not even on my guest list but I was touched that a friend of my moms' thought to even give me a gift still touches my heart today. I have that bowl in my china hutch and it brings back good thoughts of someone who was special to mom. My mom is gone now...and I assume this lady is too. Go with your heart.

Sandy