Would you let an 11 y.o.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:26 AM

go from Denver, CO to London, UK with her almost 90 y.o. Great Grandmother? It would be on an organized tour.

We are apalled that her Dad actually asked her Mom (divorced) to allow it. The Mom is looking for any and all ways to say no without being ugly about it.

So, if you would not allow it please tell us why ;-)

Or if you would let her go what is your reasoning?
Old 03-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

My question would be can the child get herself back home if something happened to GGM? 90 is a wonderful age to live to see but you never know what might happen. I know that when my kids were 11 they wouldn't be going. It's just not a responsible age.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:33 AM

It would depend on the almost 90 yrs. olf & the 11 yr. old. My aunt is 88 & would not have any trouble traveling with a mature 11 yr. old.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:34 AM

I think since they are with a group and if her Grand-mother is pyhsically and mentally fit...why not?
Old 03-09-2011, 09:36 AM

Would depend on GGM health and mental status and the level of the 11 year old but ultimately if there are others this may be an opportunity the 11 year old will never have again and what a memory for her....
Hugs
April
Old 03-09-2011, 09:39 AM

is the tour group and airline okay with it?Personally I wouldnt,unless the child knew what to do in case of an emergency,and is responsible enough
Old 03-09-2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by ssgramma
go from Denver, CO to London, UK with her almost 90 y.o. Great Grandmother? It would be on an organized tour.

We are apalled that her Dad actually asked her Mom (divorced) to allow it. The Mom is looking for any and all ways to say no without being ugly about it.

No WAY in HE Double Hockey sticks!!!! I would be very careful/suspicious once shes out of the US you have no real way to find her ever again!!!!
Old 03-09-2011, 09:47 AM

I agree with icon17
Old 03-09-2011, 09:49 AM

actually I would be ugly about it,it is her child and she has the right to say no.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:50 AM

First off, I would ask, does the child want to go? What does the child think they will gain from the trip?

If the 11 y.o. was considered mature I think it would be a great experience. Does she follow direction and instructions? It would also be a comfort to the great grandmother to have a little helper along. What a time to make memories that will never ever be forgotten.

If the youngster is considered responsible and mature I think it would be an awesome trip for both. What an opportunity to see a part of the world that will be studied in school. There may be a way that the trip could be used for school credit.

Are there going to be any other family members in the UK? How long is the trip? Are there any other younger children going on the same tour? Have they in the past? Have you checked with the tour guides and asked their opinion? Will they (child and ggm) have the ability to be in daily contact with each other (mom and dad)? What is the health of the great-grandmother? With an organized tour you are with tour guides all through-out the day. I'm sure that ggm would always be right together.

Please try not to add everyone's feelings from the divorce into this decision making process. It is very easy to say no because of grudges. Please keep in mind the wonderful opportunity provided to the child. Don't keep an opportunity of a life-time from the child because of being divorced. That would be selfish.

Pam M