Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Would you make a quilt for someone if you knew there ... >

Would you make a quilt for someone if you knew there ...

Would you make a quilt for someone if you knew there ...

Old 02-26-2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
was a huge chance they wouldn't appreciate it? To make a long story short we have a niece who has grown up in a house where gifts are just not appreciated or kept. She is having a very hard time now (has issues and is a group home and basically been cut off from her immediate family) and has been calling me to talk. I think she is searching for some connection and sense of family. Dh and his brother though they grew up in the same home are VERY different....I have the idea floating around in my head to make her a lap quilt. BUT it takes me so long to make one and you all know how much goes into one, and I don't want to do it if she is going to follow what she has grown up with and just toss it. And not to be ugly about this but it would have to be a bigger than normal lapquilt I think as she is a really big girl at 6'3" and a size 13 in mens shoes........so would you make one?
Why don't you do a fleece tie lap throw. There is no sewing and the cost is only about 20 bucks. If she takes care of it then make her a quilt. You can also buy the kits from JoAnn's from 19 to 29+ .
Old 02-26-2011, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lindsey
I would and have.. I made a quilt for everyone in my sons house. His wife included. She doesn't like me very much but i made it anyway. I am a sucker. I was over there to take her a birthday cake and found the quilt i made for her in the bottom of the dogs cage. Not anyones elses quilt just hers. When i gave it to her I thought she might possibly throw it out well. At least I know someone (the dog) appriciates it.
So sad. I'm so sorry to hear this, but I've been there myself. Just know that you tried and it is her loss, not yours.Hoping things will get better and she will see what she is missing. (((Hugs)))
Old 02-27-2011, 06:45 PM

to be honest if she is in a group home I wouldn't give her something that valuable. My daughter was in one and the others that are there took the afghans and sweaters and other things I made and sent to her. so I would think twice about it. I'm just beginning to quilt and it takes a lot of time.Maybe something else would be better. good luck.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:07 PM

It sounds to me like she needs an expression of love. It might just be the little "something" that helps turn her around. A girl that size must have lots of issues to deal with, but an Aunt that cares could be a real boost.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:10 PM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

It sounds like your heart is leading you. When you follow that calling, you can never be disappointed.
Blessings.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:22 AM

If she's having a difficult time, maybe what she needs right now is to know someone thinks she's special. I think, however, that you need to do what you feel is right for both you and her. She obviously is reaching out to you but I'd tread slowly and help her when you can.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:32 AM

I give quilts as gifts because I want too...and ....and yes sometimes the person I give to does not appreciate the gift....but I feel good giving it.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by pamesue
I give quilts as gifts because I want too...and ....and yes sometimes the person I give to does not appreciate the gift....but I feel good giving it.
Yes, pamesue, that's the way I feel also. You put it in the words I couldn't get on paper.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by diane647
It really doesn't mater if I would make one or not. The real question is DO YOU WANT TO DO IT? Sometimes we already know the answer to our question. If it would make her feel loved and included it would be wonderful. However you must remember a gift is a gift, the receipent can do with it what they will.
Ditto.