Yarn People Question!

Old 04-03-2013, 04:09 AM

Default Yarn People Question!

Good Day All!
I'm putting together a basket to give as a donation for a door prize to a ladies event at our church. I would like to put some yarn and either knitting or crochet needles in the basket as well.

Here's my problem...I know nothing!! How many skeins of yarn do I would to need to buy for an "average" project? What weight? What size needles? Would you get knitting or crochet or both?
Thanks in advance for you help!!!
Old 04-03-2013, 04:12 AM
Power Poster

That is a tough one. I would go to a yarn store or a store with a good selection and choose a pattern (simple afghan or throw) and buy the fabric requirements and needle size listed and put it together like a kit. Just an idea.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

Sorry that should say "yarn" requirements. Quilting on the brain I guess
Old 04-03-2013, 04:53 AM

As a knitter also, this would be my suggestion. I don't buy any yarn unless I have a particular pattern in mind. That's a very personal choice depending on tastes and knitting ability.

What I would like if I got a gift like your making is to get a pattern book with washcloth patterns and then have a selection of different colors, all cotton, Sugar and Creme, or Peaches and Creme yarn, which is specifically for washcloths. They are not expensive and most times they are on sale at Michaels or JoAnns. Get set of needles and crochet hooks for the size needed. Usually US 7 or Crochet hook G. Have fun picking out your gift. Lucky person to get a thoughtful gift like yours!
Old 04-05-2013, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Stitch124 View Post
As a knitter also, this would be my suggestion. I don't buy any yarn unless I have a particular pattern in mind. That's a very personal choice depending on tastes and knitting ability.

What I would like if I got a gift like your making is to get a pattern book with washcloth patterns and then have a selection of different colors, all cotton, Sugar and Creme, or Peaches and Creme yarn, which is specifically for washcloths. They are not expensive and most times they are on sale at Michaels or JoAnns. Get set of needles and crochet hooks for the size needed. Usually US 7 or Crochet hook G. Have fun picking out your gift. Lucky person to get a thoughtful gift like yours!
That is what I was going to suggest, too - the sugar and cream yarn and the crochet hook/knitting needles recommended for that yarn. It would be a quick project, and you won't have to guess about how much to put in the basket - one ball should be fine!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

Depending on how much you want to send, you might want to look for a baby afghan pattern and yarn.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:13 AM

I second Stitch124's and quiltmom04's comments. I have made so many dishcloths, both knitted and crocheted... people love getting them for gifts, and they are so fun to make because they take so little time, you get a big feeling of accomplishment! I personally would love to win a gift basket like that.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:27 AM

Thanks so much! I'm printing out your suggestions and will buy some goodies tonight! I'll attach pictures in a couple of days to show you the prize!!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 06:46 AM

I agree with Stitch 124, I love to crochet and knit washcloths and the all cotton is great, even Walmart has the cotton yarn.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:09 AM

Here is the finished product! I don't know why I didn't make a fat quarters basket?!?!? Probably cause I would want to keep it!!!!! Thanks ladies for your help!!!! [ATTACH=CONFIG]406779[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]406780[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails yarn-gift-basket-1.jpg   yarn-basket-2.jpg